Thread: Grease me up!
View Single Post
Old 07-03-05, 05:34 PM   #8
embee
Mega Poster

Castrol LM is a general purpose grease particularly suited to ball and roller bearings.

Molygrease (I think the Castrol version is MS3 or similar) is best for low speed sliding bearings, particularly with reversing movement like "old fashioned" swingarm plain bushes, it's not really recommended for rolling element bearings since it can encourage sliding/skidding.

Neither of these is what is normally considered "waterproof" in that they tend to form sludgy emulsion gunge with water.

If it's going to be splashed with water, for example handbrake linkages under cars, or perhaps sidestand pivots, a lithium based "white" grease is ideal (available as aerosol), or the Castrol CL grease though the CL is very messy stuff and I find it gets thicker with time.

Bike dealers will usually spray levers, footrest pivots etc with a "white" grease at a service.

The other thing I've found I use a lot is aerosol "Rubber and Nylon" lubricant available from places like Halfwits, ideal for lined cables etc.

...and of course the dear old "red rubber grease" for exposed bits of brake pistons.
embee is offline   Reply With Quote