View Single Post
Old 18-01-22, 06:32 PM   #1
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Default New PC - name brand, Overclockers, or...?

Come you techy types - need your advice. Our aging Dell Inspiron tower unit is getting very slow and we need to go up a size in hard drive with all the pics we take.

For named brand configuration with a 2TB storage drive I have to move up to the low end of the gaming machines, but they come with fancy graphics cards I don't need and they are pricy.

I can spec what I need for half the price on Overclockers but I've never used a site like this and have no idea if they are reliable or if I'll run into support issues if I have prlblems in two or three years time.

Upgrading the old unit with a new drive and more RAM is not an option as I don't quite trust the local break-fix places not to rummage through our personal data in the process and I don't have the patience or know how to DIY.

Which way would you go? It only has to run the interweb browser, very simple Word/Excel files, and Lightroom, so I'm looking at i5 processor, 500MB SSD for OS (Win 11) and apps, 2TB storage, 16MB RAM and not much else.