View Single Post
Old 18-01-22, 11:36 PM   #6
Ruffy

Default Re: New PC - name brand, Overclockers, or...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post
... need to go up a size in hard drive with all the pics we take.
Which way would you go? It only has to run the interweb browser, very simple Word/Excel files, and Lightroom, so I'm looking at i5 processor, 500MB SSD for OS (Win 11) and apps, 2TB storage, 16MB RAM and not much else.
Sir Trev, if you don't have something in place already, budget for at least 2 hard drives of the size you think you need (preferably bigger). Why? Backup

2TB is pretty small by today's market. For the small-ish extra cost, I'd suggest looking at 4TB min.

Good idea to separate OS/apps from data files and SSD will help with operational speed. However, to avoid the leap to 'gaming' machines, could you buy a compact 'ready to go' unit with the processor, RAM and smaller SSD spec you want and just use external HDDs for your data? (USB3 is pretty swift for day-to-day file handling.)

But, please, whatever you do, end up with at least two storage drives of sufficient capacity for all your forecast needs (one for storage and one for backup, with backups taken regularly/frequently) unless you want to lose that increasingly large and precious photo collection at some random, unpredictable point in the future.

Sorry if this sounds preachy - data recovery is stressful enough, data loss is properly traumatic. (Yes, sadly, I'm speaking from bitter experience.) If you're already sorted for backup then ignore me and accept my apologies.
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote