View Single Post
Old 29-09-23, 11:47 AM   #11084
embee
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

GOTD - the feeling that "they" have tried to take the mick.

A couple of years ago my regular MOT chap (cars and bikes) retired, he was the only reason I traveled 10mls to get MOTs, so found another local place. I've taken a couple of cars there a couple of times, absolutely no porblems.
Took my little toy car in today, it's done about 600mls this year, 25k in total in 27yrs, always garaged, pretty much spotless. It once failed on a wiper blade which had started to split at one end and I hadn't noticed, fine, otherwise no issues ever.

Call from garage, failed on dip beam alignment, both too low. Now as far as I recall they've never been touched, and I carefully checked everything over this morning before taking it in, including the headlights against the garage door and everything "looked" fine. OK I know beam alignment equipment isn't a garage door at the end of the drive, but I was still surprised and said so. "We can adjust them now if you want, ...... £9 +VAT ......... each".
My reaction was that it was literally a 2min job (if that), and was a retest free if I took it away and adjusted them and brought it back?
"Oh OK then, we'll do it for free, just come and get the car". (slightly abrupt tone).
Me - "No, if it needs doing then do it but the price sounds too much, how about charge me the price for one?"
"No, just come and get the car, take it away".

I go and get the car, apologised for sounding a bit awkward, didn't mean to be, but I was genuinely surprised. OK they say, no problem.

Got car home, let's just see what the lights look like against the garage door. Dip beams fine (separate main/dip), one main is correct, the other is about a foot too high. Now it definitely wasn't like that earlier this morning when I got the car out. Checked that the lamp was fitted fully home and the clip was on, that can throw them out, but all fine. It took 6 full turns on the adjuster to get it back to where it should be.

Now, what would you think?

Hmmm, maybe off somewhere else next year.

Last edited by embee; 29-09-23 at 11:48 AM.
embee is offline   Reply With Quote