View Single Post
Old 19-01-19, 06:38 PM   #6902
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
there is a sense of having tempted fate here. A couple of days ago there was a thread about ISPs and I mentioned that I was satisfied with Virgin overall.

Shortly thereafter my (wired) connection would blink off with a "no internet connection" message. If I looked in the Superhub3 router error log there was always this type of error:

2019-01-17 12:13:14.00 critical SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=40:0d:10:16:e3:7b;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:79:d2:55;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Best case it would blink back on after a couple of seconds worst case (only once so far) the router rebooted itself. This reboot is normal with a loss of sync. but the reboot takes about 5 minutes. (I timed it)

There are always errors in the log, though, even when it's running well, most are warnings but the critical ones worry me.

Virgin are sending someone round today.
The reboot times are insanely long for what it is. Even when it says that it is back up and running you still get huge delays for a few minutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
virgin engineers regularly "snipe" the system looking for unauthorised access, they also update the system an a regular basis.

if your internet goes down and your router is blinking its lights then DONT turn it off/on as its receiving an update. it "should" reboot after the update which can sometimes take an hour to do fully. they normally do this at night but when a critical update needs doing they will do it at anytime.

some of the problems that can happen are people logging into their router to change settings "because the read something on the net" DONT. the only thing you should change is the UN, PN and network ID and PW otherwise stay out of it unless you are qualified. people also expect to log into their router via wifi and expect it to be fast.. ermm no, if your going to do anything then use a wired connection.

something else to consider when using wireless connections. the wifi cards/dongles dont last forever and a lot of the time problems you think are the router are in fact the wifi card/dongle. this is why you should always have a spare "test" dongle.
Damn, you could get a job with them with those excuses! The delays are just as laughable whether it is wired or wireless.

When I was on the phone to them yesterday I told him I was on a wired PC and he asked if I was in the same room as the router. I said no. He told me to go in to the room with the router and see if I can access websites...
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote