View Single Post
Old 10-12-18, 06:59 PM   #34
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

Location: Cramlington Northumberland where we are truely blessed
Default Re: the rights of the citizen versus society

One of the problems we have is that the worlds systems are very different. In many countries prison is used extensively whilst in others corporal punishment and prison, in those countries this will distort the return to prison figures. The other BIG problem is that virtually all of the studies and reports are politically biased one way or the other. It is very difficult to find for example the murder rate per capita vs the execution rate per capita. There is also a lack of accurate data (do you believe the Mexico rate here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._homicide_rate ) and local issues like Iran's hatred of the drug trade and the fact that it's now the preferred route for opium from Afghanistan to Europe. All in all a minefield unless you've a great deal more time than me.

Getting back to moped thugs. Personally I like the idea of flogging folk. Not because it is shown to be any more effective than prison (seems to work for the human traffickers & slavers mind, not that I'm advocating those levels of violence) not as a punishment or revenge, but just because it's quick, easy and cheap. Please lets not think about fines. They only work on the people with something to loose or an income the authorities know about. In the case of the moped thieves they are signing on whilst saying they're living with their mum when in fact have a partner whose name is on the rent book so effectively no tele or playstation for the bailiffs to take so no incentive to pay a fine.

Last edited by littleoldman2; 10-12-18 at 07:03 PM.
littleoldman2 is offline   Reply With Quote