View Single Post
Old 16-01-19, 11:39 AM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Rivers of London

I'm an avid SciFi reader, I've been collecting novels for years and now have in excess of 650 books.

A couple of weeks ago I picked up "Rivers of London" by Ben Aaronovitch which is the first in a series currently standing at 8 books. I wholeheartedly recommend them if you are into reading SciFi/Fantasy.

If you imagine Harry Potter didn't go to Hogwarts but joined the Metropolitan police instead only to discover they had a hidden department (of 1 person) who would investigate "odd" (magical) crimes in the city. This man would also teach magic to an apprentice if the Met's budget allowed it. The first book gets its title from a new (to him) discovery that all of London's lower rivers/tributaries are ruled/controlled by a goddess/princess whereas the upper reaches are controlled by Father Thames - and they have a disagreement.

What makes it interesting is the detailed explanations of police procedures mixed with occasional magic and a good dose of humour in the style of Neil Gaiman. (American Gods, Anansi Boys, Neverwhere)

Incidentally, the magic aspect is based upon Isaac Newton's occult investigations which he turned to after his Laws of Motion, gravity and calculus discoveries.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote