View Single Post
Old 06-01-09, 05:32 PM   #30
ophic
Mega Poster

Default Re: Why do my lights get brighter when I rev the engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris8886 View Post
are going to try and explain why?
Thor already did, pretty much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor View Post
Current is the voltage divided by the resistance of the system. It's not a tap. Given that reving doesn't reduce the load on the electrical system, then it must be due to an extra voltage being produced by the alternator.
V=IR
voltage (in volts) = current (in amps) * resistance (in ohms)

To elaborate, unless R changes wildly (which it doesn't), V is proportional to I, in any part of the circuit.

So:

Quote:
Originally Posted by baph
When the engine rev's higher, the alternator puts out a higher voltage, at a higher flow (current).
that bit is correct. Higher voltage, higher current.

Quote:
The regulator then ensures that this increased voltage is reduced to 12v (approx). The current generally isn't reduced by the regulator.
that bit aint. Current in the circuit will change according to the change in voltage. The regulator regulates voltage and therefore it regulates current too.

Quote:
By upgrading bulbs (eg, Osram Nightbreakers as stated), the bulbs are designed to glow brighter. This is accomplished by drawing more current due to lowered resistance in the coil. If the alternator isn't putting out maximum current (for the bulbs) they will be dimmer than they can potentially be. When the current raises (by revving the engine), naturally the bulbs get brighter.
that aint right either. Osram Nightbreakers are rated the same as normal bulbs - 60W. Same voltage, therefore same current, same power dissipated, more light. They are more efficient.

Can we have another torque vs power thread now?