View Single Post
Old 09-06-10, 10:05 AM   #32
philbut

Default Re: I have a new project - and it has 4 wheels!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss_Undaztood View Post
If the needle valve is grooved it could be flooding, hence the poor fuel consumption and the mixture screw not doing much, especially if thats been screwed in too tight and grooved too. With the engine running, the screw should stall the engine if you wind it in enough. Jets are so small that they you cant really tell if their worn unless you compare them to new ones. Sounds like its gubbed.
Burlen fuel systems and carburettor hospital are good for parts for classic stuff, and for info, you might find the carb is a specific set up for the CF against other GM stuff.
I used to have some CF parts but i`m sure they got binned in a clearout years ago but i`ll have a look if I have anything your welcome to it.

EDIT: Infact, i`ve still got my Burlen catalogues, if you give me the details of the van i`ll have a look and tell you whats compatible and see if theres part numbers or jet size info etc.

Cool, that would be great. I have a complete spare carb which I might rip parts off when I collect it (its still with the seller as I ran out of room there were so many spares that came with the van).

The van is a 1971 CF, short wheel base, single wheel per hub on the rear. The engine is a 1975cc petrol with 4 speed manual box. As said, it's running the original Zenith carb (36IV - not the 36IVE), and a Delco dizzy (also original I think). 60k miles on the clock. If you can verify what other vehicles have the same carb that would be very helpful. The one I have my eye on is from a Vauxhall Viva / Victor 69-70. I know jetting will be different but I have the spec for the CF so I can order new jets.