Thread: Project: 500GP
View Single Post
Old 30-03-20, 12:00 AM   #124
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Default Re: Project: 500GP

Thanks I'm happy with how things are going at the moment.

So I tried the left rearset on the bike for the first time. And it looks good I think.

But as its a test fit its given me some things to think about. I knew the back of the plate would be close to the swing arm, but looking at it its going to be too close. I think the rear shock would have to be under heavy compression in order for it to interface with the arm but its a risk I'm not happy with.

The easiest solution would be to space the hanger out by 5mm and that should clear the arm good and proper. Using the sets I'm basing this on the top mount has no spacer, the lower has an 11mm so I've got another set of 5mm and 16mm spacers to make.

The next issue issue is harder to photograph, but basically the toe peg bolt and the linkage rod are going to meet. It comes down to the space that it has to run. In short the peg is spaced to 10mm and the rod is 10mm OD, but the bolt is not recessed completely. The head of the M6 button bolt is around 2.5mm and I counterbored it by 1mm as the lever is only 6.5mm in depth. I don't know if I can recess the whole of the head while maintaining the strength of the lever so suggestions welcome? I might be able to add a spacer to the spacer for the peg to see...

But time for some better news. I have a right rearset ready to test fit. Now things to say are that the lever return limit isn't mine. I didn't have enough time to do the limiter so used the original spaced out to fit. Though I have an idea how I'm going to fix this.

Also the return spring is a bit of a question. The M5 tap is just there while I dont have a bolt the right length, but I'm not happy on the snap. I have a simple set of springs that I've played with, but I dont think they are strong enough to really return the lever, so if anyone has any suggestions on how to measure springs, their strength, and where to get them from I'd be happy to listen?

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote