View Single Post
Old 11-09-18, 02:25 PM   #12
GraemeC123

Default Re: Cutting out as pulling up to junctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
it sounds like classic intermittent clutch switch failure.

by and large the K7 onwards bikes electrics are bomb proof unless someone has been fiddling... with the high idle and the occasional cutting out its pointing to the clutch switch. another common problem that gives the same symptoms is the thermostat switch.

BTW the clutch switch can read fine with a DMM at one time of day then read fubar at another.

to test the clutch switch you need to disconnect the connector then test for continuity with the lever in and out, out should read no continuity, lever in should read with continuity. if both read with or without at the same time then a new switch is required.

with things like tip over, kill switches and such the bike wont even turn on and all you will get is lights etc.etc with no "priming" sound.
That's how I tested it. I wiggled the lever as I was doing it, must have operated it 50 times. Cleaned the contacts up and reconnected. Checked all the other plugs and tip over and that's all fine. Come to think of it the temperature wasnt as consistent as I normally see. What's the best way of testing the thermostat other than running it up to temp and waiting for it to open?

Cheers

Graeme
GraemeC123 is offline   Reply With Quote