View Single Post
Old 13-07-05, 09:40 AM   #1
Cat

Default Very first design guidelines! AT LAST!

Just thought I'd pop in to let you guys know that FINALLY the first set of official highway design guidelines for motorcycles has been published by the Institute of Highway Engineers. It's way overdue, but now at least us traffic/highway engineers have something concrete to work with and refer to. None of it yet constitutes law, but the research upon which a lot of it is based has prompted moves to change some traffic laws, although the guidelines will for the time being represent best practice. The book was produced with full consultation with REAL motorcyclists! (shock horror!) taking account of bike design and behaviour, rider behaviour and perceptions, other road users' perceptions and behaviour, including their attitudes to bikers.

The guidelines cover everything from high speed rural road design (especially bends), barriers, road surfacing and placement of white lining and utility covers, parking provision (very detailed), crossfall (camber), urban design (especially at junctions), traffic calming, road maintenance (winter and summer) and addresses the role of safety campaigns.

I haven't read the whole thing as yet (only got it yesterday!) but so far the possible changes to the law I've spotted that may arise from the research include permitting motorcycles to legally use advance stop lines and bus lanes.

Well, it's a start eh?