View Single Post
Old 25-01-09, 08:41 PM   #1
JustATrick

Default Throttle weirdness

Just been out for a bimble on my 2002 naked curvy SV650 (standard, except for the Carbon Can Co Oval end can). By the time I wanted to come home, I was a bit lost, so headed for the only town name I recognised: Newbury. Eventually that got me onto the M4, and then home on the A34 - a blast of about 30 miles during which I didn't drop much below 70mph.

As soon as I got onto slower roads, the bike started behaving weirdly - more pops and grumbles than I'm used to, and the engine note somehow didn't sound right. When twisting on the throttle the revs would increase but somehow the bike wasn't pulling, until there was a pop and I'd lurch forward. Similar stuff on the overrun, so I was being jerked forward and back. It wasn't constant, and didn't seem to last very long: it didn't do it for the last few streets (but I live very close to the A34, so can't say it wouldn't have carried on had I gone further). Any ideas what's going on? (Could it be the fabled carb icing - not that I know anything about that, it's just something I've heard discussed on here a few times?)

Oh, and hello BTW - I introduced myself in the Thames Valley section, but this is my first post outside there.

Full disclosure: I dropped the bike from stationary earlier in the day (documented in the Thames Valley section), but don't think this weirdness would be related - I'd done 50 miles since then without a problem.