View Single Post
Old 02-04-19, 08:30 PM   #3
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Default Re: Today, I have been mostly....

The side and the front bits now look like this. All the bare earth won't be bare for long as I've scattered wild flower seeds over it, good for the bees! The Mahonia smells glorious and already has quite a few bumble bees visiting it.

Side patch
by garynortheast

It's hard to describe how overgrown the front had got. It'd been invaded by pampas grass from somewhere and most of the rest needed a serious pruning - which is what it got!

Front garden
by garynortheast

The little border and small end bed out the front now are clear. I've dotted a couple of plants in which had been sat in pots for several years looking very sad, a Euphorbia and an oriental poppy. I also put a sedum in last night that came from the in law's garden.

Border
by garynortheast

I have several tubs of flower seeds, many still sealed up but dating back quite a few years. I thought I'd see what came up if I planted some of them so there's a row of sweet peas in that border against the wall, a row of marigolds in front of that and then, right at the front a row of pansies. We shall see what happens.

Border
by garynortheast

Next it was up onto the veg plot and first to be tackled was the cooking apple tree. Unpruned for 8 years, it was an unholy mess. I decided to forgo and decent crop from it this year an give it a pruning. Most of the canker is now removed and it looks a better shape.

Pruned cooking apple tree
by garynortheast

So now I'm onto the digging bit. There are lots of other jobs still to do but I need to get planting space prepared as I'm going to order a load of veg seeds from Garden Organic in the next couple of weeks. A friend up the lane is doing a joint order with me as neither of us alone will be able to use all the seeds so it makes sense to split them.

Digging the veg beds
by garynortheast

I'm getting a collection of pallets together as well, to use to repair the veg bed supports and to make new compost bins. I have some seriously overgrown bits to tackle still as well but they will have to wait till I have veg planted and compost bins in place.

I can't begin to tell you how enormously satisfying and calming this project is.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote