View Single Post
Old 13-12-08, 11:52 AM   #2
Baph

Default Re: Throttle body balancing

OK, who or what has advised you remove the whole airbox on the SV? It's simply not required.

You CAN reconnect the sensors etc, but you pretty much have to leave everything dangling off the side of the bike (works best off the left side, leaving better access to the balancing screws).

But like I said, you don't need to remove the whole airbox. I've used a long screwdriver in the past without touching the airbox at all, but it is easier if you remove the top of the air box.

Basically, my steps:
  1. Tank up (obviously).
  2. CarbTune plugged in on vacuum nipples.
  3. Run bike to warm up (at this point, I've usually just changed the oil too, so use this to help check oil level).
  4. If I'm not feeling lazy, top of the airbox off, leaving the rest there.
  5. When warmed properly, with engine on, hold bike at 3k RPM, use rear TB adjust screw to match front cylinder. Then release throttle.
  6. Repeat the above step for 5k RPM and 7k RPM (my neighbours love me). Usually this is just a check, not an actual adjustment.
  7. Let the bike idle for a few mins, blip the throttle a few times & check balance whilst idling.
  8. Continue other work on the bike, or shut it town & put it all back together again if I'm done.

The above usually takes about 5 mins, as in practice I already have the tank up, carbtune in & the bike reasonably warm due to other work I'm doing on it.