View Single Post
Old 02-01-08, 03:54 PM   #2
ejohnh

Default Re: Riding to Limoges, France

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker_Billy View Post
Mornin' all...

To try to keep on top of the post Christmas blues, I'm looking at going to Europe in June. The family are renting a villa in Limoges, and I'm thinking of riding down to meet them there, rather than getting the flight.

I live in Plymouth, and have been looking at the following routes:

1- Ferry from Plymouth to Roscoff, cost £160 return, duration 6 hours. Benefits are that I wouldnt have to trek to Dover, and I'm already on the Western side of France. Total 424 miles.

2 - Ferry/Tunnel from Dover / Folkestone, cost £50 return (ferry) and £60 return (Tunnel). Total 719 miles.

At the mo am thinking of leaving home early in the morning, catching a ferry to be in France by mid afternoon. This leaves a couple of hours riding before settling into a B&B for the night. Then carry on in the morning to Limoges.

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this? Which route would you do? Also, Autoroute is sending me via Paris if I get the ferry from Dover. Has anyone any experience of good biking routes from Northern France to Limoges area?, as well as suiable B&B's / hotels with parking for a bike?

Thanks in advance,

Billy.

Check out the Portsmouth/Caen ferry. Quite a lot closer to Limoges than Roscoff and Dover is just a pain in the butt - and Calais is MUCH further.. We did that last august - what a pain..

But you live near Plymouth?

The Roscoff area is nice though Driven from that ferry a few times down to the west coast.

John