View Single Post
Old 28-04-15, 09:24 PM   #1
Philby.

Question Oxford Heated Grips - Sports vs Touring vs Adventure

Hi all

I'm about to purchase my first set of heated Oxford grips, but I am hoping to get some advice from you beforehand. I understand that of the three premium types, the 'Adventure' grips are too long for the SV, so I suppose that just leaves 'Sports' & 'Touring'.

I commute daily and the 'Sports' grips do look nicely grippy; but hard and sharp, so I'm guessing they could potentially be quite uncomfortable over longer rides. Is the 'Touring' version, therefore, more comfortable and the better all-round choice?

I'd be very grateful if you could tell me which of the three grips you guys use/recommend, and why, as well as what kind of riding you do.

I could go into a shop and just feel them, but I'd far rather hear testimonials from you.

I ride an SV650S K3.

One other thing:
I know the new grips have the intelligent battery controller (whereby the power is switched off when the battery is low), but is it not still advisable to wire the grips to the ignition so the power is automatically shut off? I'm asking this because it seems that otherwise the battery controller has to wait until the battery voltage drops to a certain level, I think I read somewhere around 11.7v - is this correct? It does seem like a waste of power. Conversely, if the controller realises the engine has been switched off and shuts the power down fairly quickly, then I might save myself the hassle of the additional wiring!...I hope that makes sense.

Many thanks in advance!

Phil

Last edited by Philby.; 01-05-15 at 12:42 AM.
Philby. is offline   Reply With Quote