Thread: Project: 500GP
View Single Post
Old 10-03-19, 12:56 PM   #103
Othen

Default Re: Project: 500GP

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_hunter View Post
It turns out there was a couple of other things I'd missed off to bring us up to date.

The wiring loom looked to be in quite good condition so I decided to clean it and rewrap it before installing it on the bike along with the little red box and the reg rec. The rear battery tray and storage compartment was then installed along with the cleaned up brake light and repainted indicators (black Hemerite).

Next was back to the 3-in-1 mill to make a rear brake torque arm. I ordered one from America but if failed to arrive so I decided to make my own. A simple task of cutting out the right shape from a bit of aluminium plate, drilling the mounting holes and then milling a little pocket down the centre for looks.

It looks good on the bike but I may have another go at it as I'm not 100% on this one as it was slightly longer then the travel of the mills bed which meant that I had to reposition the piece and the depth of the cut changed slightly over the distance. Again, I'm reaching the machines limitations.

But one part I made was fairly straight forward and I'm happy with, and this was just a couple of spacers for the ignition barrel. As I'm using the TCR top yoke the barrel would sit very proud of the yoke and the steering lock would not engage.

I think that TCR did supply some spacers for this but obviously I didn't get them. So it was a simple task to make my own, just a case of picking an appropriate size of the OD and ID of the tube and parting both off at the correct length.

And next I will start to explain the delay.

Your attention to detail is fastidious, I would not have the patience to finish a project like yours to such a high standard. I enjoy bike projects - but the sort of thing that can be done in a month or so for a few hundred pounds (like the Bloop and my K6).

You are a better man than I am Gunga Din.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk