Thread: Project: 500GP
View Single Post
Old 17-03-19, 04:20 AM   #106
Othen

Default Re: Project: 500GP

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_hunter View Post
Well the addition of the mezzanine floor meant that we had more room for more bigger and better tools, so you can imagine the reaction when a Bridgeport Milling Machine magically appeared in the workshop one sunny day.

Now that is where the story of the Makerspace should have ended and I should have continued with the build of the bike, but well, other things may have happened and a very good deal was to be had on a Colchester Triumph 2000 lathe as if you have a mill you need a lathe. The trouble is these machines are old and used so come with an issue or two.

For example we knew that the Bridgeport has a broken quill return spring and the DRO was a little funny in places. And while the quill spring is on the list to be replaced the DRO was fixed with a simple disassembly and clean. The error on the DRO for example is down to 0.03mm over 2800.00mm which isn't to bad.

However the lathe has been another story. It turns out the good deal wasn't as good as was first thought. The main oil pump, screw cutting gearbox, tailstock, saddle, chuck, and apron needed to be dissembled, cleaned, and rebuilt. The machine needed an oil change (about 16 litres) as well as simply having some added to it. There is wear on the apron and this is a story in itself but it works though a replacement is being sought. As a side note there is a steamworks in Lester I wouldn't recommend. Anyway as I'm nearly at the end of bringing the lathe into service I've started to look again at what is needed for the YSR...

How absolutely fascinating. You are fortunate to have access to such a facility.

Alan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk