View Single Post
Old 01-06-14, 11:08 AM   #7
EssexDave

Default Re: Pedal bikes on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tactcom7 View Post
Surely you need more than a foot to get out past all the grates, potholes, dead badgers etc? I think 1 metre is acceptable whereas 1 foot is pushing it.
One of those things that just depends on the circumstances.

Where I used to cycle commute there was a short but sharp hill at the end of my ride home. If I pushed myself I'd get up it about 18-19mph, but given I was taking it easy on my commute it was more likely 10-13mph.

I'd quite often hop up onto the pavement if I could see it was clear (as there are no places for people to get out onto the pavement from the side of the hill).

It's just one of those things that really needs to be left up to common sense in the situation, and trusting that the cyclist is doing what they feel they need to do to be safe.

I will quite often sit in the middle of a road to try to stop cars overtaking me if I know I'm at a good pace and it's not particularly safe as many people have this notion that a pedal cycle cannot go faster than 12mph. When they're alongside you entering the corner and THEN they realise you're actually going 20-25mph is never good.