View Single Post
Old 01-06-14, 02:59 PM   #10
PyroUK
Mega Poster

Default Re: Pedal bikes on the road

I did add the caveat of "although it depends on the circumstances".

Also to be fair, my comments were based on personal experience of riding mountain bikes, one fairly robust and beefy full sus and one lightweight nimble but sturdy hardtail, both of which could handle themselves on rough terrain easily, so perhaps i did not care too much about the odd man hole or pothole etc. I would ride as fast as i could at the time and be roughly a foot away from the kerb. If you are one a road racer or maybe on of those new fangled hybrid commuter thingys which are less forgiving of an uneven road surface then i grant you, it will likely be a different story.

Also given that over my way the cycle lanes on the roads are a metre wide (at absolute best, generally just bigger than bars) and you generally ride in the middle which ok is 1.5 feet, but still. What i am talking about is the people who ride OUTSIDE the farkin cycle lanes that are there for them therefore being a metre+ away from the kerb (i probably could have made that bit clearer originally).

It is also probably worth noting that i do not live in a "city" as such, not like London etc where you are virtually always riding alongside parked cars etc, that situation is less than common. Here its more likely to be Kerb +/- cycle lane with the odd parked car so you do "pop out" to go past it.