View Single Post
Old 12-12-17, 02:34 PM   #1
buckstone

Default SV refurb questions

I finally got myself motivated to tidy up my K8, and made a list of things to do -

Powder coat fork lowers
Fit new fork springs and change oil
Powder coat wheels
Powder coat various other oods'n'sods (eg oil cooler grill, etc)
Fit hugger
Fit braided brake lines
Remove grab rail but keep pillion seat
Fit new shock (maybe !!!)

I've had the SV since it was 6 months old and while I know I could get a newer bike with the cash I'm spending, I love it and don't really need
anything else. Mileage isn't high so it's got loads of life in it yet.

Today was the day !!!! Back wheel off no probs - apart from the muck. What a mess, I'll need to buy shares in Gunk / WD40. Same for the front - dead easy, even for a ham-fisted non-mechanic like me.

So, to the questions ....

I got the 2 internal mudguards bolts out no problem, but the 2 at the front ones are stuck. How sturdy are these ? I've soaked them in penetrating fluid and will sneak the wife's hairdrier out to heat them up, but are they likely to shear ?

As for getting the wheels painted, I've got a couple of really stupid questions.

Presumably I need to remove / replace the wheel bearings ? I'm going on the basis I do, but is it possible to have them masked up instead ?

Same sort of question for where the cush drive rubbers sit. I'll remove them - presumably that bit of the wheel gets painted too ?

My current plan is to get everything done in the shiniest, glossiest black. Any other suggestions ?
buckstone is offline   Reply With Quote