View Single Post
Old 22-02-24, 05:18 PM   #11257
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffy View Post
Try a claim citing Sale of Goods Act "not fit for purpose" reasoning. They are statutory rights and warranty period is not necessarily relevant.

If you have a proof of sale, less than 3 years does seem low for average battery life. (Like you say batteries typically last longer. More anecdotes: The original Yuasa I had on my VFR lasted over 10 years and the batteries in our current SVs are probably getting on for 5 years+ too. I bet there's some industry statistics on the web somewhere.)

You may have to argue a bit but if you're going to have to replace the battery anyway what have you got to lose? Even if just to send an email to test the waters before letting them know you'll never buy from them again, or recommend them to anyone if their first response is 'No way'. You never know, maybe they'll have some semblance of decent after sales and honour the phone promise?

Got in touch with MDS and their flippant reply was 'well they obviously don't make them like they used to' - and offered me a tenner off a replacement - but when I checked their price is the same as Halfords anyway ( and Halfords have stock which MDS do not ) - I just said they had shipped me a dodgy battery covered with acid once and I was not willing to trust them again... Funny that Tayna do not have stock of that Yuasa battery either, but their price once you add shipping is approaching Halfords anyway..

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote