View Single Post
Old 11-08-20, 09:41 AM   #1817
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: What have you tinkered with today?

Just tried to fit the Electrex RR851 'series' RR to AL7 2016 to replace 'shunt' OEM type.

Physically it is OK, but the plugs are not quite right - On the AL7 for the stator wires the projecting locking tab is on the bike harness plug, but the Electrex plug comes with a projecting locking tab - so if I try to plug in the two projecting locking tabs will hit each other and not find the recess that should be there ( the electrex plug needs a recess for the suzuki tab to click into, instead it has another locking tab ). On the 12VDC plug, the plugs would fit except the suzuki one on bike has a split key slot on bike harness socket, with a matching split projecting separator on the RR plug, the electrex 12VDC plug has a solid key in a different position...I could make them fit if I dremelled off the orientation key on the electrex harness plug, but don't want to do that as it would invalidate the warranty. I will email Electrex with photos and see what they say - the only way I could fit electrex RR as it is would be to bodge the plugs or solder the connections...... and the harness on the bike is so tight can hardly get plugs out to even unplug them, let alone have enough room to cut wires and crimp on bullets or solder and heatshrink them..

Electrex do supply a moulded plug body and 3 crimp on female spade connectors with the RR for the stator cables, and that plug body will fit the one on their RR lead, but I can hardly get to the stator plug on bike to unplug it, let alone cut cables and crimp new spades on, in any case that would make the bike end of the stator cables non-standard and I could not fit a standard suzuki OEM RR if I needed to....

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 11-08-20 at 02:15 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote