View Single Post
Old 09-08-19, 09:49 PM   #37
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Default Re: First world problems and bike dilemas

Not sure I can handle the extra weight on the VFR. It's the same weight as the Tracer and BMW dry as they are wet.
On paper I thought I wouldn't like the 214kg of the Tracer, but it actually feels very light. Noticeably heavier moving it about to get in the garage etc than my SV was, but once moving it handles like a much lighter bike. The BMW suggestion has me intrigued though. My IAM instructor rides one and loves it. The belt drive looks good. Weight is same as the Tracer and if it rides with the weight low down (fuel under the seat etc) then it could be a good option.

I know it was a joke when mentioned but I do realise I won't get everything right in one bike. I'd love to have something small fun and light to commute and enjoy locally and then something more sophisticated to do distances on. I think I need to just get something cheap and cheerful to keep me commuting and mobile locally at the beginning of September.

A street Triple would be a great fun bike for a few hours out and decent for commuting too. I test rode one yesterday and loved it, but felt like I did last time I sat on one that I kept sliding forwards into the tank and felt cramped unless I pushed myself back up the seat, which caused me to tense my arms to hold myself back (even with knees gripping the tank). Someone mentioned an option of sorting out that seat problem a while ago on here and I wish I could remember what it was. Apart from that the position was good. The bars could be very slightly wider (every time I moved my hand and then put it back I kept nearly missing the end of the grip, but that may be because I've got used to the very wide Tracer bars). Difficult to judge from a half hour test ride as I think the suspension was set way off for me (hyperpro spring on the rear which I think was uprated for a heavy rider). The blue lights that keep flashing when you up the revs were a bit annoying too. As a simpler honest, smaller bike I could see it being fun though. Not sure how it would be on longer journeys.

I'd definitely have one if I could sort out the seat problem and get a tourer to live alongside it though.

I'll do some more research on the BMW.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote