View Single Post
Old 07-06-05, 08:34 PM   #1
Admin2

Default Annual Ride-out 2006 - Points for discussion

Okay okay I know we've only just finished the AR05 but I thought maybe some early thoughts and ideas would be in our best interests and rather than have umpteen polls about location and every little thing, it might be worth having an objective discussion at this early stage to try and work out where, why and how for next year to make it an even greater success than this one.

For a start, thanks to Jelster, Baldyman and also to Sid Squid, we know that the marker system works very well with the SV650 crowd (being generally sensible and well-behaved etc), is easy to implement and ensured that no-one gets lost or left behind. So unless anyone has any objections I think we'll keep that for next year too.

But what about destination? I know some peeps have mentioned Scotland and without doubt it's a gorgeous place but is it a reality for the big annual ride-out or more suited to those adventurous peeps who don't mind riding 400 miles in a day? This also applies to Cornwall and other far-flung reaches and I say this because I personally think that the main objective of the AR is to get together as many SV riders as possible in one group on one day, with the collective spirit of a mass of SVs etc giving it a special feeling, just like we had last Sunday.

Now in reality I reckon that there is a limit to how many miles the majority of peeps are prepared to ride and the map below probably represents the most effective geographical area for the AR if we're to carry on amassing SVs rather than go to a far off beautiful area off the country where the turnout will be significantly less. Naturally there will be a fair amount of argument over this but surely it has to be pretty close to the mark as the people from the far south don't want go to the far north and the people from the far north don't want to go to the far south - and let's not get started on the east to westers!

Another point to consider is the social side. As without doubt we are a particularly friendly lot and there have been a lot of comments about extending the social gathering so that we all have plenty of time to meet up and preferably have a drink or two, which will mean a definite two day event. Now this year I was persuaded to camp for the Saturday and I have to say it worked really well and there were quite a few us at the camp site all mucking in and making merry. Maybe this could be expanded upon for next year?

Length and pace of the ride? Now some thought it too far, some too fast ( ). Maybe we could have a two stage ride with 60 miles of each and aimed at the more casual rider in one and the more focussed rider in the second (though I don't mean a balls-out scream-around!)?

Support vehicles? Well if partners aren't keen to ride pillion (which is understandable) then a support vehicle(s) would be really handy and allow non bike peeps to participate in a valued role should they wish. This year we had Mrs Ape (Jo) as unofficial support vehicle and it worked very nicely.

Various points like these if thought over might make next year an event not to be missed and one where the social factor is as important as the ride itself. Okay I'm done ranting, over to you guys and gals.