Thread: Ireland 2020
View Single Post
Old 01-07-19, 05:17 PM   #6
Chris_SVS

Default Re: Ireland 2020

Great pics, not raining so definitely not like Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjob View Post
It's a tough call either way, as to enjoy the road /scenery is nice to ride through and stop occasionally for a photo/breather. But i found you end up stopping too much which then hinders your progress/plans. I always try to stop when there is a 'significant' change in the scenery, or a spectacular view to enjoy.

I would do it when schools are not off and it isn't a bank holiday, otherwise you will be tripping over a lot of traffic (vehicles & footfall). Plus it means the prices are usually better for accommodation and visiting places. I went in late August (mid week Weds-Friday) and the weather was still nice, roads were empty and i could do what i wanted essentially.
You need to do the Ring Of Kerry early, it gets crazy busy with Tourist coaches (which go Anti clockwise) and will be a mission to pass/deal with on some of the narrow roads around there. As does Conors Pass. Many idiots ignore the no caravans/motorhome signs and wonder why they struggle to get along the narrow road which is open to 2 way traffic!
Excellent points DJ,I dunno what to do or how to do it. There's 5 strong riding days there which I suppose could be done Thur-Mon and only cost 2 days holiday or Thur-Sun and go twice. I sailed into Cairnryan for NC500 on Good Friday which was a great idea and equally a mistake until I got towards Tyndrum, where Glencoe and beyond was relatively quieter.

Last edited by Chris_SVS; 01-07-19 at 05:24 PM.
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote