View Single Post
Old 29-08-20, 08:33 AM   #1
daktulos

Default Helmets & Head shape

I've been looking at getting a new helmet. I've always bought Arai (as the first one I bought fit) and when I bought my latest helmet a few years ago, a Chaser-V, I tried on a few cheaper lids, but ended up with it as it seemed to fit much better than any others I tried.

It does, however, press against my forehead, which has a bit of a ridge down it, so although it's not quite time for a new helmet, I've been doing a lot of window shopping.

It's always frustrated me that it's all trial and error, and that there's no definition of "long oval" etc. - usually it's described as "looking a bit longer than a rounder oval" or something equally as useless.

I've always assumed my head shape was average, an "intermediate oval" as they say. Until I found this from a German study of 3d-scanned head shapes:

Coincidentally my head circumference is 58cm, which makes it easier to compare. I measured my head (box file in the shower if you were wondering) and my head width is 15.5cm. So, my new assumption is that it's a "long oval".

While I'm happy there is some real numbers behind it now, there are so few manufacturers that make helmets for that shape. It looks like Shoei is about the only one, so I'll be exchanging one expensive helmet maker for another!

I did also find this site, but it's for US helmets (which can be different shapes) and has a limited set of helmets:

http://www.lidpicker.com/

Anyway, I just thought I'd post my findings in case it helped anyone else.
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote