View Single Post
Old 31-03-20, 04:20 PM   #26
DJ123
Mega Poster

Default Re: Social Distancing ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
This is interesting, from The Guardian:https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...-lord-sumption

According to the article: "The National Police Chiefs Council (NPCC) and College of Policing are rushing through guidance reminding officers that despite politicians’ warnings, they cannot bar people from going for a run or a drive. It will state that while certain actions such as driving to exercise may be unwise, they are not prohibited by the emergency powers, according to sources with knowledge of detailed discussions. It is also expected to conclude the law does not restrict people to exercising outside only once a day."

Now I am NOT saying "everyone disconnect their Optimates and get their bikes out" but I do agree that the responses of some police forces in some cases has been disproportionate. If the Government issues clear instructions - such as those in France, Spain, Greece etc - then those should be enforced. But right now, the Government's recommendations are guidelines, not a law, and it's a slippery slope if individual forces are allowed to interpret that how they wish.
It's not been enforced, yet, as they want this to be a 'choice' as much of it is a suggestion. That way at least people feel like they are have an active role in choosing to stay home, and minimising their outings unless absolutely necessary.
Granted it is open to interpretation. And you will always get people who will do what they want, because they don't understand their potential impact on the larger society and the bigger picture.
100 years ago people had to go to war to save lives- and most didn't have a choice in it. All we need to do is stay home. I know which one I prefer to do....

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote