View Single Post
Old 16-09-09, 10:11 PM   #10
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Default Re: Another unmarked police vehicle

Been asked if I think this thread is illegal and my view is that it is not. Provided the information posted on here was collected in the public arena then the very fact that someone was able to identify the vehicle as a police vehicle tends to suggest that at some point it was displaying blue lights, flashing someone up or otherwise doing police car things. If on the other hand the informant works in a police garage and they started posting up details of unmarked covert police surveillance vehicles that have never been identified in public as such then I think that may be another matter.

Having said all that I do wonder what possible advantage this information is to anyone. As has been said the chances of anyone remembering a variety of makes/models, let alone registration numbers, and then being able to spot them in their mirrors or otherwise in time to do anything about it is so remote as to be insignificant. We quite happily take our unmarked cars and bikes into the local biker cafe and let joe public crawl over them, take photos and otherwise admire/mock them (but no test rides) because we know quite well that their knowledge that they exist does far more good than the potential harm of identification.

Basically don't bother trying to remember what an unmarked cop looks like, just be suspicious of anything that starts to shadow or follow you if you are doing anything you'd rather wasn't filmed. If you're observant enough to roll out of it before we've got the evidence (just how long does it take you to do two 10th's mile at speeds worth talking about) then as far as I'm concerned you're good enough to get away with it.
Good luck!
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote