SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-05-24, 10:40 PM   #11
stevieo

Default Re: Cam chain tensioner - no slot??

Well I wasn't worried about this, now I am ! -

Im thinking as long as I re-check the clearances after its all back together, put the cams back on in the right position and dont refit the tensioners extended then all should be good. Can you point me to any other problems that may arise?

Thanks Steve
stevieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-24, 06:26 AM   #12
glang

Have a good read of the manual beforehand and you'll be fine. Its just a case of marking and recording everything as it comes apart, not letting the chain go loose back down in the barrels, not dropping anything in the engine, not mixing bits up on reassembly and not overtightening bolts into soft alloy...
glang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-24, 07:00 AM   #13
glang

oh and if your lucky and very careful (go round them with a feeler gauge or something before lifting off) you might be able to reuse the cam cover rubber gaskets which I think are quite expensive to replace...
Old 19-05-24, 01:48 PM   #14
admin
John T
Mega Poster

I'm paranoid so I'd turn the engine over by hand when you're finished just to ensure there's no valve piston interference. In case of a cam timing error.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Old 19-05-24, 03:10 PM   #15
glang

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
I'm paranoid so I'd turn the engine over by hand when you're finished just to ensure there's no valve piston interference. In case of a cam timing error.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Yes good point and it reminded me of a Suzuki vee twin I did recently (not SV) where I got in a right pickle. I think youre supposed to do one cylinder at a time and I would recommend this as I tried to dismantle both at the same time to give more choice for swopping shims around.
However doing this means you have to rotate the crank with one cam set removed plus then to get back to the correct position for the first you have to rotate a long way and its easy to get confused whether youre on the firing or exhaust stroke. The crank mark lines up the same for both and I hadnt marked the chain so with no cams its very difficult to know when the electronics will produce the spark!
More by luck I got it right and all was well but I lost some sleep as it wasnt my bike....