SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 28-09-24, 07:49 PM   #4311
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Default Re: The All New Megathread

I managed to get out on the bike today now the rain has taken a break.
Mind you it was a tad chilly.

Sent from my moto g(50) using Tapatalk
Old Today, 08:03 AM   #4312
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Morning all. Bloody vile weather today, raining hard and forecast to do so all day. I don't think I'll be going far today!

Just had a worrying couple of days with poor old Mabel.
A few weeks ago she picked up a bacterial infection and was quite unwell with it. She was given an antibiotic and anti inflammatory jab and a course of antibiotic tablets and recovered very quickly. She's been as right as rain since then until a few days ago when she went rapidly down hill again. Back to the vet on Saturday where she had another, stronger jab and a course of tablets, but this time the jab didn't seem to work. She was really unwell with it overnight so on Sunday morning we went back to the vet and she ended up on IV fluids and antibiotics. I called at the vet at about 5pm that day to find she'd made a really good recovery and was ready to come home. Can't tell you how relieved I was to see her looking better! She came home, scoffed an enormous bowlful of food and then retired to bed to sleep it off.

It was distressing to see her so unwell, doubly so as she's been such a loyal companion through a pretty tumultuous phase of my life, so a great relief to have her up and well again.

We're back to the vet this morning for another check over and then we have to wait for blood test results on Wednesday.

In other news....

After the incident with the bike blowing it's main fuse a few weeks back, I just found the bag of fuses I was looking for, and which I knew I had somewhere. I went and bought another couple of packs of fuses, only to discover that the bag I couldn't find was on a shelf just 12 inches from my head when I'm sat at the computer. Duh!
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:22 AM   #4313
Luckypants
Mega Poster

I hope Mabel makes a full recovery. It is distressing to see them unwell and having no idea how to help. About 12 months ago our little dog Jemima started to go downhill for no apparent reason. Just was lethargic and tired all the time. The vet diagnosed kidney failure due to a traumatic injury to the kidney (maybe a kidney stone passing or similar) and it was not healing due to the arthritis medication. (Metacam). The vet said to prepare for the worst but to try taking her off the metacam, put her on a renal diet and love and rest. She did recover and was her old self in a few weeks, but with a restricted 'renal diet'.

Whilst examining her, a mass was found in her abdomen. We all knew what it was but it did not seem to bother her. We decided on no treatment as she was a frail old girl and the medicine would be worse than the disease. She was put on Librella injections for her arthritis and went on being the little diva she has always been. We lost her to the cancer in July, she went to sleep in our arms. We miss her terribly, but she had a good life with us after a terrible start. (all our dogs are adopted from North Clwyd Animal Rescue).

RIP Jemima.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:08 AM   #4314
garynortheast
Mega Poster

It's so hard when they get older Mike, they're family members. I'm not sure if non dog owners understand the bond that develops between humans and animals, and just how heartbreaking it is to lose our canine (and indeed, feline) companions.

It sounds to me like Jemima had a good life with you after a poor start to her life.
Old Today, 09:28 AM   #4315
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Yes, she had a good life with us. She was found as a stray at 8 months old, looking like a skeleton. NCAR built her up before offering her for adoption but she struggled to maintain weight for the first few years. She had issues her entire life due to malnutrition in her formative months, mainly bone and teeth related. Nothing held her back though, such was her zest for life. She had to be physically restrained from diving into the river after her cruciate ligament repair!

Mrs LP is starting to talk about adopting another dog to keep Jack company, but I'm not ready yet. Jack does miss his little big sister. Jemima 'chose' Jack at NCAR to come live with us and they were totally bonded.

Old Today, 12:04 PM   #4316
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Glad hear Mabel is on the mend Gary. I've not had a dog for many years but I can understand the emotional link with any pet.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Old Today, 12:22 PM   #4317
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Glad hear Mabel is on the mend Gary. I've not had a dog for many years but I can understand the emotional link with any pet.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Thanks John. We went back to the vet this morning for a final check and her temperature is spot on again now.
Old Today, 12:59 PM   #4318
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
Thanks John. We went back to the vet this morning for a final check and her temperature is spot on again now.
Good to hear.