SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old Today, 11:13 AM   #4131
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Default Re: The All New Megathread

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
Tomorrow clearing blockages from my local river as part of our work for Save the Gipping, you can find us on FB.
Sunday working in the afternoon
Good man, careful the water company has not dumped something horrible in the water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
I get mine direct from Doves Farm Mike. This is what I normally buy https://www.dovesfarm.co.uk/products...wholemeal-25kg
That is a good price! Cheaper by far per kilo than Amazon. Buying 25kg is a bit daunting though, will keep me going at least 6 months....
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:20 AM   #4132
maviczap
Mega Poster

Yes Mike, we're fully aware of what our water company is probably pumping into what was once a beautiful river, luckily it doesn't involve much getting into the water, but those who have had to, have come down with stomach bugs.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:21 AM   #4133
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Tomorrow clearing blockages from my local river as part of our work for Save the Gipping, you can find us on FB.
Sunday working in the afternoon
Excellent stuff Mav. Our waterways are in a shocking state and anything done to help recover them has to be a good thing.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:25 AM   #4134
maviczap
Mega Poster

Yes, our work on the river has made a big impact, we've removed about 30 fallen trees since last September, just with chainsaws, hand saws and muscle. A FB group of nearly a 1000 members, but usually only 6 hardcore members carrying out this work.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:44 AM   #4135
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
That is a good price! Cheaper by far per kilo than Amazon. Buying 25kg is a bit daunting though, will keep me going at least 6 months....
I have a big, round, flour bin and 25kgs lasts my the best part of 12 months. It keeps well in the bin and still produces good bread towards the end of that time.

Here's the bin I use and this is the lid to go with it
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:35 PM   #4136
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
I have a big, round, flour bin and 25kgs lasts my the best part of 12 months. It keeps well in the bin and still produces good bread towards the end of that time.

Here's the bin I use and this is the lid to go with it
Yes that was what I was thinking of. I guess its the 73 litre one I need and they are not cheap. We are just thinking of where we would store such a bulky item.

Old Today, 12:38 PM   #4137
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Yes Mike, we're fully aware of what our water company is probably pumping into what was once a beautiful river, luckily it doesn't involve much getting into the water, but those who have had to, have come down with stomach bugs.
Full fat Coke! I'm not taking the mickey, its very helpful to kayakers that use the Holme Pierrepont WW course on the Trent. The site is downstream of Nottingham, so water quality is generally not good. I hardly ever went there for that reason, but prophylactically drinking coke afterwards definitely helped prevent the "Trent Trots".

Last edited by Luckypants; Today at 02:39 PM.
Old Today, 02:13 PM   #4138
Craig380
Mega Poster

Quote:
Full fat Coke!
Seconded - it's an almost infallible cure for melancholy humours of the digestive system (I believe the phosphoric acid in it is particularly hostile to bacteria). Especially if stirred to get rid of most of the bubbles.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:43 PM   #4139
Ruffy

Quote:
Full fat Coke! I'm not taking the mickey, its very helpful to kayakers that use the Holme Pierrepont WW course on the Trent. The site is downstream of Nottingham, so water quality is generally not good. I hardly ever went there for that reason, but prophylactically drinking coke afterwards definitely helped prevent the "Trent Trots".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
Seconded - it's an almost infallible cure for melancholy humours of the digestive system (I believe the phosphoric acid in it is particularly hostile to bacteria). Especially if stirred to get rid of most of the bubbles.
Thirded! Yes, sound advice. This was also the recommendation of the rowing club my son used to go to in Stratford, in case of an unintended dip in the Avon when it goes wrong. There was always a bottle of the stuff kept in his kit bag just in case.
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:59 PM   #4140
redtrummy

Good of you Mav. I bent the ear of the prospective Labour candidate the other week. Last year we pitched near the river Wear on our way to a festival at Bellingham, in the morning it stunk to high heaven a bike ride revealed a large sewerage up stream so that was that mystery solved. Re bread flour -I have used flour from Shiptons Mill. If I have too much I stick it in the freezer if I have room. Our wholefood co operative sells it in 3kg bags sourced from a working windmill so now I usually have 3kg organic white and 3 of wholemeal. 25kg is difficult for me to store I also will buy a bag of different sorts when out and about - I quite enjoy looking at old working mills.I only use it to make sourdough bread .
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote