SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-08-24, 06:36 AM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Euro 5b (aka 5+)

I'm not sure I understand this but this is what I think it means.

Bikes won't be emissions tested, instead the bike itself will calculate the lifespan of the catalytic converter using an algorithm and 2 Lambda sensors.
The problem with catalytic converters is that they need to run hot but not too hot - so if you like visiting the red line your cat heats up more than in "normal" usage and it gets degraded. If your quickshifter/traction control etc alters the ignition timing (I didn't know they did that) it can raise the cat temperature, shortening its life - or calculated life, it's the algorithm calling the shots, not what is coming out the exhaust.

If the bike decides your cat has issues then it switches to limp mode until you fix it (by replacing the cat/lambda sensors etc)

One article I read says that some cats may last less than 30k miles. The more high performance your bike is, the harder it is to meet the new requirements - which is why Yamaha decided not to sell the R1 in Europe/UK anymore. They don't sell enough to make implementing the changes worthwhile. Note: it will still be sold in other markets. I wonder how many other bikes will now disappear from EU/UK markets.

These new regs affect any bike capable of more than 130km/hr (80 mph) and they're supposed to come in next year.

It seems to be that just testing the bike for emissions would make more sense unless you're trying to legislate the faster more powerful bikes out of existence.
Old 30-08-24, 07:06 PM   #2
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Default Re: Euro 5b (aka 5+)

Mmm, I'd not been aware of any of this. I suppose riding a 24 year old, carbed bike has meant I've not kept up with the requirements of modern machines. I'll be interested to see how it develops.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-24, 08:19 PM   #3
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Just reading your description hurt my head Seeker... If the aim is indeed to make faster bikes more expensive to buy, run and sell, then I do hope the same is done for the plague of AMGs, M5s and R4s that we have around here, driven by stay-at-home "princes" who've never been told no and spend every penny they earn/get from father on a lease car they thrash about with no regard for manners or road rules every single day... Far more of a menace than any of the motorcycles we get every now and then at weekends.
Old 30-08-24, 08:35 PM   #4
admin
John T
Mega Poster

I read something on that too. Apparently cats should now last the lifetime of the vehicle which means the bike/car has to indicate that the cat is no longer doing it's job and needs to be replaced. I guess that'll be an engine fault light on the dash.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Last edited by admin; 31-08-24 at 10:38 AM.
admin is offline   Reply With Quote