SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old Today, 01:00 PM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Puncture bother

I was on my way home on the GSX when I realised something was amiss. I thought I had a front tyre puncture but it was actually in the rear tyre. I couldn't see anything obvious so I used my CO2 cartridges (from repair kit) to add some air. I got home although tyre pressure was barely registering by then. I found the puncture after pumping it back up (with a foot pump - my legs ache!) and hearing it whistle when under the hugger.

I decided to have new tyres fitted but dealer didn't pick up the phone so I went back out to investigate wheel removal only to discover you need a 19mm hex bit to remove the front axle which, of course, I don't own. Ordered one.
I then thought I have nothing to lose by trying to patch it with sticky string, unfortunately my rubber cement had set so I did it without (I checked and the cement is primarily there to act as a lubricant). It was hard work without that!

I've pumped the tyre to a higher pressure than normal and will check it in an hour or so. I'll probably still get new tyres although I have run other bikes for several thousand miles on a sticky string patch before, equally I've had one fail almost immediately, so there is a bit of a gamble.
Old Today, 02:13 PM   #2
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Default Re: Puncture bother

I've used sticky string repairs on a few occasions Seeker, and it's always proved pretty reliable. I've run a couple of tyres with the stuff in for several thousand miles in the past with no problems.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote