SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 25-09-08, 04:34 PM   #1
missyburd

Default Go-Karting

I've just discovered a Motorsports club at uni They mainly seem to be about go-karting but apparently they're branching out into more 2-wheeler territory this year which sounds rather eeeeeenteresting

Just wondering how many people have tried go-karting as I'm thinking of going for a spin in one, looks a lot of fun! Is it easy to get the hang of?
Old 25-09-08, 04:43 PM   #2
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

Default Re: Go-Karting

Ive tried go karting. Its great fun. Really knackering tho as you'd be suprised how quick they can corner and what G-Forces they will put on you. My arms and back and side and front were all aching after an hour or so stint.

Its pretty easy to get the hang of. Stop Go corner turn. Its very easy to spin it out and when they let go it happens very quickly.
Awesome cool wicked fun tho.
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-08, 04:43 PM   #3
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by missyorkie_chris View Post
Just wondering how many people have tried go-karting as I'm thinking of going for a spin in one, looks a lot of fun! Is it easy to get the hang of?
yep lots of times. Its a huge amount of fun. Its a piece of p*ss to get the hang off, but going fast is a different matter altogether.

Basics are simple

Steering wheel. Right foot is throttle, left foot is brake, dont press both at the same time. Brake in a straight line and dont hang the tail out to much it slows you down.

All the karts I drove had brakes on the back axle only so if you brake to hard you lock the rears and spin. So dont do that

I've done indoor and outdoor and twin engined stuff. If you're up for it give it a go and see how you get on. You wont be disappointed. Dont worry to much about the technicalities, just have a huge amount of fun.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-08, 04:43 PM   #4
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

Are you at Uni in Aber?
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-08, 04:47 PM   #5
ThEGr33k

Very fun! Love it. Done it a few times. I think I might have to try and get another go sorted
Old 25-09-08, 04:55 PM   #6
Baph

As Fizz, I've done rather a lot of karting over the years (though probably not as much as Blue_SV650.

Glasfryn Park won't be THAT far from you, but there may be somewhere nearer. If you do end up at Glasfryn Park, make sure you checkout the quad bikes (£20 for the quads)... very good course.

As for the karting, as others have said... only, on most circuits, you don't need the brake, and you're quicker if you don't use it.
Old 25-09-08, 05:06 PM   #7
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

i've done it about 5 times - loved it everytime. my mates who went with me were going on about how much of a buzz it was and i said it's about as close as you can get to the feeling of riding a bike without actually doing your cbt or lessons etc. That similar rushing buzzing sensation

we should get the org together for regional gokartin through the winter maybe?

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..
Paul the 6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-08, 05:08 PM   #8
Daimo

My missy had never done go-karting until our recent holiday.

Get her in proper first time like, "whats the quickest you've got, the twin engine jobbies"

She was nervous, but went from being lapped 10x by me, down to 4x on the 2nd session. Knocked 7 seconds off her time and loved it

Smoothness is the key to a fast lap.
Old 25-09-08, 06:03 PM   #9
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

recommend it, its so fun

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-08, 06:29 PM   #10
ThEGr33k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul the 6th View Post
i've done it about 5 times - loved it everytime. my mates who went with me were going on about how much of a buzz it was and i said it's about as close as you can get to the feeling of riding a bike without actually doing your cbt or lessons etc. That similar rushing buzzing sensation

we should get the org together for regional gokartin through the winter maybe?

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES...

The buzz for me is the racing to be honest. I am a little over competetive though.

Where is a good place around our end then Paul?