SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-03-06, 11:35 PM   #1
doe

Default Got my first proper bike But the cost is all adding up

Picked up my SV650 today. Can't wait for my first spin. Its sitting in the van for delivery to the garage for service, MOT and to fit restrictor kit. The bike has been parked all through d winter.

What will it cost me for
Service
MOT
restrictor kit

I have 8 weeks before my 2 year restriction ends, but i can't miss another summer.

Thanks

Oh, its 99, unfaired number.
Old 23-03-06, 11:44 PM   #2
rictus01
Mega Poster

Hi doe,

add you location to your profile, then others will know if you're local to them or not.

as the the cost, can't really help as I've always done my own servicing, but it could need the brakes doing as well if it's been outside.

enjoy the bike and perhaps see you at AR06 ?

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-06, 01:09 AM   #3
instigator

Mot is about £24 or thereabouts. What it needs done to it to pass the MOT is unknown.

Service. What mileage is it at? Change the vitals yourself, spruce the brakes up with brake cleaner and do a once over. Got to do it all yourself mate, it's damn easy and rewarding as well, you really don't need any mechanical knowledge to do 75% of stuff!

Restrictor kit. £140 for an FI kit, if its a suzuki garage, should be about £140 fitted (I have a receipt for my bikes restriction, the kit was £99 from suzuki). However, its only 8 weeks!!! Blimmin wait mate, what a waste of money if you pay for those washers. Christ man!!
Old 24-03-06, 06:55 AM   #4
doe

Just over 5k on the clock. I thought of waiting 8 weeks, but not sure i can bear to watch the bike for that long. I manage to wait this long cos i had a scooter, but that has now been stolen. I think i will just have the kit fitted and save on the service. Thanks for the advice.
Old 24-03-06, 07:16 AM   #5
Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by doe
Just over 5k on the clock. I thought of waiting 8 weeks, but not sure i can bear to watch the bike for that long. I manage to wait this long cos i had a scooter, but that has now been stolen. I think i will just have the kit fitted and save on the service. Thanks for the advice.
Save on the servicing costs, but don't short cut the work.
Old 24-03-06, 07:20 AM   #6
doe

Bigape,
i think i will play save and have the service done as well. Any recommendation for bike wear. Got my helmets sorted, but still have to sort out jacket and pants
Old 24-03-06, 09:15 AM   #7
andy owen

Get your but down to Aldi's they have bike gear on offer this week, I got myself a smart pr of boots for £25 .
Old 24-03-06, 09:36 AM   #8
GSXR Carlos

Default Re: Got my first proper bike But the cost is all adding up

Quote:
Originally Posted by doe

I have 8 weeks before my 2 year restriction ends, but i can't miss another summer.
cos you're really missing riding in this crap weather

wait, its not worth the money, get it servied etc and then just sit on it in your garage
Old 24-03-06, 09:43 AM   #9
Sudoxe

Default Re: Got my first proper bike But the cost is all adding up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl PO51 MYV
wait, its not worth the money, get it servied etc and then just sit on it in your garage
Speak for yourself

So 8 weekly train tickets at say 26quid each thats £208 - £140 for restrictor leaving 68quid for petrol, thats about 700 miles.

Dan
Old 24-03-06, 09:45 AM   #10
K

I can see what others are saying - "it's ONLY 8 weeks!" - but there is the flipside that this is Doe's first big bike.

Starting 'restricted' may give them a little boost to the confidence that the bike isn't going to be too much straight off. Get used to that and take the restrictors off part way through summer.

Better to regret making a decision that is reversable than to lament a crashed bike. Each to their own pace.