SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-08-15, 01:14 PM   #1
isutty5

Default Speedo dead after bump!

(New info in my last post) Hi Guys,

Anyone had any problems like this before or know some reasons for my speedo dying after I went over a hard bump?

Speedo is no longer working. Bike is SV650S '99 Curvy.

The sensor on the front wheel looks fine, no visible damage.

The wheel had been removed on the same day by a mechanic who fitted a new tyre so not sure if the sensor can be placed at incorrect rotation? I was there watching and he is a trusty mechanic.

I may have a quick look where the pins connect under the tank but I find it unlikely that's the problem.

Any suggestions?

Kind Regards,

Jordan

Last edited by isutty5; 21-08-15 at 11:49 AM. Reason: update
Old 07-08-15, 03:47 PM   #2
TamSV
Mega Poster

Default Re: Speedo dead after bump!

Quote:
Originally Posted by isutty5 View Post
The wheel had been removed on the same day by a mechanic who fitted a new tyre so not sure if the sensor can be placed at incorrect rotation?
It can. The sensor has 4 plastic lugs that fit in corresponding slots in the wheel. If it's not placed correctly the lugs get snapped and the speedo drive no longer moves.

The fact this happened so soon after the wheel was removed makes me think that's the likely explanation.

As it wasn't apparent immediately after the wheel was fitted it's possible that something was still catching the drive but the bump you went over dislodged it.
TamSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-15, 02:02 PM   #3
isutty5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamSV View Post
It can. The sensor has 4 plastic lugs that fit in corresponding slots in the wheel. If it's not placed correctly the lugs get snapped and the speedo drive no longer moves.

The fact this happened so soon after the wheel was removed makes me think that's the likely explanation.

As it wasn't apparent immediately after the wheel was fitted it's possible that something was still catching the drive but the bump you went over dislodged it.
You were spot on Pal!

One of the plastic lugs was snapped. Took the wheel off the take a look for myself.

What's the best call of action here?

In my opinion it was the fault of the mechanic for not properly placing the sensor.

I have had this bike for 8,000 miles with no issues with speedo at all. As soon as this guys takes the wheel off, the speedo goes after a bump!

I have no proof of it being the fault of the mechanic, and I have left it like this for 5 days due to being busy at work.

What should I do? Buy a new sensor and fit myself, or go back to the mechanic and politely ask him to correct it?

Kind Regards,

Jordan.
Old 09-08-15, 02:14 PM   #4
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Do you want to use this guy again? The Curvy is a simple bike to work on so if you have a reasonable grasp of which end of a spanner to use you can do most work yourself.

Ideally the guy should own up and fix it at his expense but getting him to do so is not as simple. You also have to prove that it was his fault as he could claim you broke it taking the wheel back out to check. Call him and see how he takes it.

If it was my bike I'd do the fix myself and never go back to him again. There are several bike shops and garages in my "never again" book.
Old 09-08-15, 02:29 PM   #5
isutty5

I will give the guy a call, I will see what the guy says, If he offers to fix it, I'll let him do that, as long as he does it for free. Either way, after that, I won't be going back again!
Old 12-08-15, 11:17 AM   #6
isutty5

Called the guy, he says he will have a look at it. So I am taking it in on Saturday. He did say that if one on the plastic lugs on the rotor has snapped, it should still work as the other 3 still catch. Is he right on this? I am thinking of checking over the cables just to make sure its not a wire issue.
Old 12-08-15, 12:32 PM   #7
PhilSV

Have a second hand one if you need one
PhilSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-15, 12:46 PM   #8
isutty5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilSV View Post
Have a second hand one if you need one
How much would you sell for pal?

Kind Regards,

Jordan
Old 14-08-15, 04:16 PM   #9
PhilSV

£30 posted fella
PhilSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-15, 11:48 AM   #10
isutty5

I may take you up on that offer if I can't get it sorted.

I ordered a new plastic rotor for the inside. Replace it, fitted perfectly.

Still no speedo! Tach works and always has.

The only things not working are the odometer and speedo.

I may have the pull the front apart to check all connections but does someone know which connectors and cables I should be checking? I just find it really odd how it stopped after a hard bump! This leads me to believe it's now a cable fault, possibly a corroded connection but there are so many wires!

If someone could advise it would be appreciated.

Thank You.