SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-09-08, 05:21 PM   #1
missyburd

Default Change to bike test postponed.

Bikers groups angry over new test

By Duncan Middleton
Newsbeat reporter

The closure of smaller test centres has also sparked anger

Bikers groups have told Newsbeat they're being ripped off over the new motorcycle test. The tougher exam was meant to start on Monday but has now been put back six months. Despite this, the cost has already gone up from £60 to £80.
Thousands have booked in and paid for the new test.
Now they'll be sitting the old one but won't be refunded the extra £20 they stumped up.
Twenty one year-old William Avery is one of them. The trainee electrical engineer from Crawley in West Sussex is a little bit obsessed with the world of leathers.
He said: "Ever since I was a kid I've been going to watch the British Superbikes, World Superbikes. I've even been to Daytona to see the bikes. It's something in the blood."
"I feel like I'm being ripped off. I've paid the money for the new test and all I'm getting is the old test. I'm very annoyed and it's pretty frustrating." What do you think - is it a rip off?

Dave Sharp is from the Motorcycle Action Group and he agrees with William.
He said: "I think it's appalling that riders who are perhaps short of money are not going to be refunded.
"It would make a big difference to those individuals and I think it's totally unethical."
This latest row is part of an ongoing saga for bikers.
They're already angry that dozens of test centres around England, Wales and Scotland are due to be closed down to make way for larger ones. I'd like my money back because I'm paying for something I'm not getting

William Avery

They say learners will have to travel much farther just to take their test.
The so-called super test centres are being built to fit in with a new European law which aims to make the roads safer.
For the first time, the test will include off-road manoeuvres because the existing centres aren't big enough.
The Driving Standards Agency denies that bikers are being ripped off.
It insists the cost of taking the test was going up anyway and isn't linked to the introduction of the new exam.
But Dave Sharp still thinks it's unfair.
He said: "Twenty quid on a motorbike's a full tank of petrol.
"Depending on the bike, it might get you up to 120 miles, so it is a significant amount of money. It's a nice little earner for the government." And while he practices his 'mirror, signal, manouvre', William still feels short-changed. "I think there should be some sort of refund for the twenty pounds. I'd like my money back because I'm paying for something I'm not getting," he said.

Damn cheeky blighters! I suppose at least the test won't be any harder but what's the point of charging more?
Old 29-09-08, 06:08 PM   #2
AndyL

Default Re: Change to bike test postponed...

Im one of the unlucky people who booked their test and is now paying the extra £20. Still at least I now get to take the "easier" test . For someone who is entering the world of bikes £20 quid doesnt seem that much when compared to £100's insurance + £100's leathers + £1000's on a bike, still it will all be worth it in the end.
Old 30-09-08, 08:03 AM   #3
carty

Default Re: Change to bike test postponed.

What are these people complaining about! Yes they're now paying an increased fee but there is more chance that they would have to pay again if they were taking the new test as there's likely to be a higher rate of failure.

When they've got that little bit of paper in their hand telling them they've passed they won't give a monkeys about £20. And if they fail the old style test they can be sure they'd have failed the new test!
Old 30-09-08, 09:13 AM   #4
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by missyorkie_chris View Post
Bikers groups angry over new test

By Duncan Middleton
Newsbeat reporter

The closure of smaller test centres has also sparked anger

Bikers groups have told Newsbeat they're being ripped off over the new motorcycle test. The tougher exam was meant to start on Monday but has now been put back six months. Despite this, the cost has already gone up from £60 to £80.
Thousands have booked in and paid for the new test.
Now they'll be sitting the old one but won't be refunded the extra £20 they stumped up.
Twenty one year-old William Avery is one of them. The trainee electrical engineer from Crawley in West Sussex is a little bit obsessed with the world of leathers.
He said: "Ever since I was a kid I've been going to watch the British Superbikes, World Superbikes. I've even been to Daytona to see the bikes. It's something in the blood."
"I feel like I'm being ripped off. I've paid the money for the new test and all I'm getting is the old test. I'm very annoyed and it's pretty frustrating." What do you think - is it a rip off?

Dave Sharp is from the Motorcycle Action Group and he agrees with William.
He said: "I think it's appalling that riders who are perhaps short of money are not going to be refunded.
"It would make a big difference to those individuals and I think it's totally unethical."
This latest row is part of an ongoing saga for bikers.
They're already angry that dozens of test centres around England, Wales and Scotland are due to be closed down to make way for larger ones. I'd like my money back because I'm paying for something I'm not getting

William Avery

They say learners will have to travel much farther just to take their test.
The so-called super test centres are being built to fit in with a new European law which aims to make the roads safer.
For the first time, the test will include off-road manoeuvres because the existing centres aren't big enough.
The Driving Standards Agency denies that bikers are being ripped off.
It insists the cost of taking the test was going up anyway and isn't linked to the introduction of the new exam.
But Dave Sharp still thinks it's unfair.
He said: "Twenty quid on a motorbike's a full tank of petrol.
"Depending on the bike, it might get you up to 120 miles, so it is a significant amount of money. It's a nice little earner for the government." And while he practices his 'mirror, signal, manouvre', William still feels short-changed. "I think there should be some sort of refund for the twenty pounds. I'd like my money back because I'm paying for something I'm not getting," he said.

Damn cheeky blighters! I suppose at least the test won't be any harder but what's the point of charging more?
Granted your's is a better quality post but I've already made a thread...
Old 30-09-08, 12:25 PM   #5
missyburd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
Granted your's is a better quality post but I've already made a thread...
oops, I did look to see if someone had already mentioned it but didn't find anything