SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 11-10-11, 01:56 PM   #1
Nicky S
Mega Poster

Default help with some questions about electrical things

hey orgs

iv just started my final 2 years at college to become a sparky. my tutor has asked me to research some bits and bobs.

he has asked me to find out

1. What is a electrical system?
2. what dose a electrical system Contain?
3. is there any type of presentation?

now im all a bit confused about this, i kind of get it but not really. iv spent the last couple of hours on the internet and all i can find is junk or info about earthing & bonding systems.

earthing & bonding is fine but its not what my tutor wants to see he wants me to look at it as a hole?

am i right in think that an electrical system is something like this.

power station - step up transformer - power lines - step down transformer - house - fuse board - circuits - light from light bulb ???

or have i got the wrong end of the stick.

if any one could help me with the very basics i would be very greatfull.

cheers nick

Nicky S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-11, 02:01 PM   #2
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Default Re: help with some questions about electrical things

Hi Nicky, is that the final two years of a two year course? Not being funny but I would have thought "what is an electrical system" is the sort of thing covered in the first week of learning to be an electrician.......

I'm no sparky but in my mind an electrical system is a source of power driving something that consumes that power, and whatever goes between to make that happen. A battery, two wires, and a light bulb would cover that. How simple an answer is he after?
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-11, 02:06 PM   #3
Nicky S
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
Hi Nicky, is that the final two years of a two year course? Not being funny but I would have thought "what is an electrical system" is the sort of thing covered in the first week of learning to be an electrician.......

I'm no sparky but in my mind an electrical system is a source of power driving something that consumes that power, and whatever goes between to make that happen. A battery, two wires, and a light bulb would cover that. How simple an answer is he after?
im about to start my last two years.

it will be most of my course. he just wants me to research it and have something to show him next week. after he has seen what we have found and understand he is then going to go over it with us.

but i just dont really understand it the way he said it to me sounded more like a process then a system.

i think he wants me to have a bit more then a battery two wires and a bulb lol

Old 11-10-11, 02:08 PM   #4
Nicky S
Mega Poster

this is what my REG book says

An electrical system consisting of a single source or multiple sources running in parallel of electrical energy and an installation.

Old 11-10-11, 02:39 PM   #5
TamSV
Mega Poster

I'd have thought the same as RH : power source - means of transmission - something to use the power. Maybe a switch to make it all nice and safe?

So you could give the battery/light bulb example and expand that to whatever you like - a domestic house or the national grid.

I'm not an electrician either - just a blagger.
TamSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-11, 03:02 PM   #6
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Your tutor sounds like a blender btw
Sounds like he just wants you to do some research yourself and get you thinking about it. Probably wont even read your answers. When I got questions like this without any great detail of what they actually wanted, I'd just answer them as simply as they were asked

Probably wrong but....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky S View Post
1. What is a electrical system?
2. what dose a electrical system Contain?
3. is there any type of presentation?
1. A way to store, transmit or utilise electrical energy
2. Conductors, insulators, protective devices, switching devices, transformers and output devices.
3. say whaaaaaaaaaaat?
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-11, 03:13 PM   #7
Nicky S
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S View Post
Your tutor sounds like a blender btw
Sounds like he just wants you to do some research yourself and get you thinking about it. Probably wont even read your answers. When I got questions like this without any great detail of what they actually wanted, I'd just answer them as simply as they were asked

Probably wrong but....

1. A way to store, transmit or utilise electrical energy
2. Conductors, insulators, protective devices, switching devices, transformers and output devices.
3. say whaaaaaaaaaaat?
+1 i think that might be it lol iv just found a load of my old college books and they have bits and bobs in them and iv got a bit more of an idea now thanks for the help guys

Old 11-10-11, 04:54 PM   #8
Stuuk1

I'm unfortunate enough to be a sparky, but it's been a while since I left college...

I would have thought it would be based from the origin on the installation I.e from the transformer, the system being a 240v supply with a tn** earthing system.

I know it sounds sad but there are some good forums out there about electrical stuff, some very clever people on them! Best thing to do is sign up and ask a couple of questions there...

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=50.728181,-3.543888
Member of the 1 litre club...
Old 11-10-11, 04:59 PM   #9
Stuuk1

By the way, I got to that decision about the transformer stage by the fact you said 'electrical system' and not 'earthing system' or 'wiring system'..

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=50.729551,-3.541909
Member of the 1 litre club...
Old 11-10-11, 09:06 PM   #10
Bri w

In an operating theatre you'll quite often find a light source, camera, an insuflator, a monitor and some sort of recording device. Each will have an independent supply, probably mains, and usually all on a rack/trolley. The camera will be connected to the monitor and recorder, and that's the start of the earth leakage, patient leakage and earth bonding problems - bear in mind the camera will probably stuck in someone's gut, along with the light source and insuflator and you get an idea of why leakage currents and bonding are so important.

Once each device is connected they stop being individual units and become a system.

Currently - Fighting the urge... seen a nice Triumph America

Previously - Honda CB125, Honda CB400-4 & BSA B40, Moto Guzzi 850, Yamaha RD250, Suzuki GT380, Kawasaki Z1B, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VFR, Triumph Street Triple R.
Bri w is offline   Reply With Quote