SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-03-10, 05:13 PM   #1
Chewie

Default Idle problem

Okay so this morning before i set off on the 70 mile trip to spend the weekend at the girlfriends place, the bike cut out as i pulled away, thought i had stalled it, did the same as i was getting petrol, carried on my way.

Did the trip.. it died again as i pulled onto the drive way, the bike is idling at under 1k rpm when the temp is 70, i find what i've been told is the idle adjuster thing, cable about 6 inch long on the left hand side of the bike, well it's not attatched to anything! it's got a spring on the end of it. I can't get it to screw back into where it looks like it should go because of the spring.

Can anyone offer any advice?
Old 05-03-10, 05:17 PM   #2
Chewie

Default Re: Idle problem

Oh and it's

Naked Pointy
15500 Miles
Oil + Filter change about 1500 miles ago, oil level is fine, no visible smoke

Last edited by Chewie; 05-03-10 at 05:28 PM.
Old 05-03-10, 05:46 PM   #3
Alpinestarhero

If you lift up the tank and perhaps get the airbox out of the way, you can see the mechanism where the throttle cable pulls on the butterflies. All the idle speed adjuster does is alter the stop when its returned to the "closed" position, which youcan adjust from that point Get the tank up, twist the throttle and see what it twists and work from there when the bike is running and up to tempurature, then tweak the idle adjustment. With each adjustment, give the throttle a blip; ideally, you want it idling at 1200-1400 rpm

disclaimer: the advice I have given is based on what I've seen on my 1999 SV
Old 05-03-10, 05:59 PM   #4
Spanner Man
Mega Poster

Good evening all.

The idle adjuster on a Pointy is located on the left hand side of the bike, just under the airbox, it's visible between the frame tubes. It has a phillips head, & not a knurled plastic knob.

Cheers.
Old 05-03-10, 07:13 PM   #5
Chewie

Thanks for confirming that Spannerman, my problem is that it's not actually attatched to the engine, it's come undone at some point, i can't compress the spring enough to screw it back in.
Old 06-03-10, 08:06 AM   #6
Spanner Man
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewie View Post
Thanks for confirming that Spannerman, my problem is that it's not actually attatched to the engine, it's come undone at some point, i can't compress the spring enough to screw it back in.

That's a bit of a pain. You'll have to take the airbox off for better access. Be careful that you don't cross thread the screw, as it has an extremely fine thread.
You could try taking the beggar off, & with some assistance compress the spring & tie it in the compressed position using some minature cable ties threaded through the spring lengthwise.
Thread a cable tie or two through the spring, & using a slightly larger nut held in a vice, & push the screw into it. Your assistant shold then be able to tighten the cable ties. Screw it back into place, & when it's a few turns in cut the cable ties, & voila!

Cheers.

Last edited by Spanner Man; 10-03-10 at 07:25 AM.
Spanner Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-10, 04:28 PM   #7
Chewie

Managed to do that Spanner, Got it on, screwed it in.. released the spring and it's sprung out, how does it actually work? is there a sensor in it? would i for instance be able to put a nut behind the bit it screws into?
Old 08-03-10, 09:02 PM   #8
Chewie

I am a serious bloody muppet.. i've been trying to screw it into the wrong bloody hole!