SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-06-11, 03:49 PM   #1
bmack999

Question Problems changing gears.

Hi Folks

My first post so please be gentle lol

I have also had a search to see if anyone else has asked about this but couldn't find any other posts.

I have a SV650 (Curvy) 2000 X reg with 11000 miles.

I have had this bike for about 3 weeks now and it has developed a problem changing gears when warmed up. The issue is usually always going 3rd to 4th and 4th to 5th. It was suggested to me that it may be down to needing an oil change which I carried out last night (oil & air filters and oil), ensuring the correct engine oil was used. Today, the problem is still there. I use the clutch when changing up and down(I'm a newbie to the world of motorbikes). When changing up, in the gears mentioned above, the gear lever feels solid (much like it does when you try to change to a 7th gear in a 6 speed box lol) when I try to kick it up a gear and can take several attempts to go into the gear above even if I release the clutch and pull it again.

I am willing to accept that the fault could be me so please feel free to suggest any and all ideas.

Cheers
Old 24-06-11, 04:32 PM   #2
BBadger

Default Re: Problems changing gears.

Check you chain tension for starters and adjust accordingly this could help alot.
Then pop the front sprocket cover off, clean out all the gunk and adjust the worm drive as this could be the problem with it not dissinagaing the clutch fully( theres a good write up somewhere but i cant remember where), and while your in there check the cable is also moving freely and not binding.

if you get this done it should solve your problems, if not im sure someone will be around to help with more knowledge.
Old 24-06-11, 04:41 PM   #3
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

And lube the gear lever where it pivots on the footrest.Any sticking there causes problems
Old 24-06-11, 09:31 PM   #4
bmack999

Thanks guys, I'll give those things a go and see where it gets me. Appreciate you taking time to reply, cheers.