SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-10-11, 05:18 PM   #1
hailwood68

Default Which K7 naked screen?

Hi guys

Just bought a nice 57 plate sv650 (naked) and would like to put an aftermarket screen on that is suitable for touring. Does anyone have any recommendations and does the cowling around the clocks need to be removed?

Also, the bike is fitted with a suzuki top box which sits on a mounting plate (like a piece of lego!) where the passenger seat is. I've removed 4 alan screws which I thought were all that held it down but it wont come free at the front end. Is there a method of removing it or have I missed something?

Thanks
Andy
Old 18-10-11, 01:09 AM   #2
doser

Default Re: Which K7 naked screen?

There are plenty of screens available for the naked. I went with a fairly small screen to maintain the 'naked' look - the National Cycles F-15 Sport. It does a great job of pushing the windblast up onto mid-chest and keeping the flow laminar, so it doesn't buffet. Works fine for me on 600-800km days, and speeds up to about 140kph - above that the wind starts to 'press' a bit! It doesn't seem very high, but if you pop a tape measure on it, you'll find the top of the screen is about the same height as the faired SV, or a GSXR, or whatever sportbike you choose.

Nat Cyc is in the USA - not sure of UK distribution. Ermax makes a similar screen called the "Nasty"...

P.S. The DL handguards are well worthwhile if you tour in chilly weather...

Last edited by doser; 18-10-11 at 01:10 AM.
Old 18-10-11, 11:34 AM   #3
hailwood68

Smile Re: Which K7 naked screen?

Thanks for getting back so quickly. Bike looks cool with that screen so will try to get one over here soon as. Does it fit over the existing tiny screen or does that need to come off?
TA!
Andy:
Old 18-10-11, 03:19 PM   #4
doser

the existing flyscreen comes off. I seem to recall there is some minor complication with bolts or something, but I changed it 3 yrs ago and don't recall the details - not a show-stopper, anyway.

btw, over the years, the vibrations from the bike cracked the screen at the main mounting points (the headlight bolts), so I 'softened' the mounting by installing a couple large rubber washers (the kind used in the bottom of a toilet tank) with a pair of large fender washers to spread the load.
Old 18-10-11, 05:20 PM   #5
hailwood68

Post Re: Which K7 naked screen?

Thanks again for your good advice re rubber mounting.
TA!
Old 19-10-11, 05:44 PM   #6
doser

p.s. Puig and Givi both make screens that seem fairly popular in the States... there is a thread on svrider.com somewhere that you can maybe search up that shows a bunch of screens...