SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-12-06, 09:37 PM   #1
jenni

Default winter - corrosion advice

So I have had the bike through one winter, and have no rust, so i must be doing something right. However that post about the acf50 smoke screen got me thinking. Just where should i be putting the acf50?

At the moment im using that rubbish pump spary that doesn't give a fine mist and just squirts acf50 everywhere, then i spread it as much as possible using kitchen roll.

help please!
Old 04-12-06, 09:51 PM   #2
steveg

Default re

I just painted the ACF on with a paint brush , its the first year that I have used it .
Put it everywhere apart from brakes / body work /exhaust .
The bike is now completely covered in mud / dirt , I am a tad concerned about the fork finsih under this layer of dirt , however resisting the temptation to clean it off & I am trusing the ACF ......

Cheers Steve

Now Triumph sprint 1050 ABS 05 Reg

AKA Papa Smurf
steveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-06, 10:07 PM   #3
Beenz

Should be OK on the zorst (and I guess the headers) yup it will smoke but still protect.

Will be taking a dry day off soon to apply the stuff to my bike, under the tank and around the crank cases to stop em going persian.

Will be using the brush/rag method for the banjo joints on the brake hoses though. This stuff creeps so will be carefull of the brakes. Should be OK on all shiny metal parts and ally foot rests/hangers etc.
Old 04-12-06, 10:39 PM   #4
mac99

I put a load of ACF50 on about a month or so back. And it seems very good at attracting and retaining small pieces of dirt . The forks now look like they've been fried in breadcrumbs. It's a good lubricant as well, so wipe up any excess from footrests, pedals & switchgear.

My question is, is there anything that can be done about the brakes ? This stuff does seem to creep very well, so obviously you don't want to be spraying it around near the brakes, but calipers fare really badly in the crappy weather. Is there anything to be done ?
Old 04-12-06, 10:55 PM   #5
Beenz

Not an expert here on brakes (calling Squirrel Hunter ) but I guess it's a case of keeping the pistons all cozy in copper grease. It should not be too much of a problem as the calipers 'should' not be hard to remove to pop out the pads and glob the pistons. Just a pain to do. Once maybe twice a winter should do.

Views welcome.
Old 05-12-06, 09:50 AM   #6
STRAMASHER
Mega Poster

For brakes i have being using "Brake Cleaner". You know its good cos it smells....NASTY!
Pressurised can, so give a quick squirt onto pistons back and front. Keeps them clean and free of crud. Also when I stick the bike away after wet roads(err.. thats every day then) i tap the calipers with a rubber mallet to stop them binding overnight.

Careful when spraying ACF/FS365 on your footpeg hangers. Keep well away from gear lever as this will stick. Blast with WD40 to go from sticky back to snicky. I got stuck in 2nd last year, 7am, loud pipe, 8000rpm, hand-shifting is not a nice mix.

STRAMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-06, 11:24 AM   #7
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenz
Should be OK on the zorst (and I guess the headers) yup it will smoke but still protect.
Nah, it just burns off the headers... It leaves a residue, but it doesn't protect really (no more than any other manky crust would), it just makes it look manky Doesn't do any harm either, mind, just that it's a bit of a waste.

Jenny, you might get on better using a paintbrush... The wee manual pump thing's very clever, but it doesn't really work Don't put it on too thick, doesn't need it- just a decent coating over everything, and make sure you get it into the nooks and crannies. I think Stramasher's right, the gear lever bushing doesn't seem to like it- could just be coincidence but mine went a bit dodgy after being sprayed with it.

And yep, red rubber grease on the pistons, great tip for the lazy... You can leave your brakes unattended for a long time with it on. Brake cleaner helps, but it only delays problems. It's a bit of a no-brainer for a winter bike, a tub's cheaper than a set of new seals and it'll last forever, as well as saving you time.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-06, 11:53 AM   #8
Beenz

Thanks for the correction Northwind, just goes to show you can't believe everything that you read, certainly where I read it anyway.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/nav?pa...urceId=1585094

They have been known to get the odd artical wrong
Old 05-12-06, 12:47 PM   #9
northwind
Mega Poster

They're right with everything else, mind. You can use it on end cans and it seems to work, but ithe actual protective element starts to flash off from 60 degrees c if I remember right.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote