SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 09-04-10, 06:23 AM   #1
Tara

Default Christenings!

does anyone know how much the church charges or does it depend on area/religion?

Looking at getting Ryan christened August but haven't got a clue on these things.
Also Ed if you read this would you recommend a legal document to sort out legal guardianship should anything happen to falc and I or can i just write something down and make sure the family know who we want to look after our child/children?
Old 09-04-10, 06:32 AM   #2
wyrdness

Default Re: Christenings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara View Post
Looking at getting Ryan christened August but haven't got a clue on these things.
Then why on earth do you want to do it?
Old 09-04-10, 06:43 AM   #3
timwilky
Mega Poster

I bet Ed says do it properly and you both make a will. You can put your requirement for child care should you snuff it in there (we did).

But please discuss it with the persons nominated and get their agreement first.

As for the christening stuff, not a clue. what I do know is some churches insist on you being a "worshipper" in the church. Others are cool so long as you go by their general principle. such as I am supposed to be RC yet they were OK with me being god father to my bessy bessy mates daughter at the local CofE.

Worse my brothers daughter, the local church would not christen her until mum/dad got married.
Old 09-04-10, 06:48 AM   #4
Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
I bet Ed says do it properly and you both make a will. You can put your requirement for child care should you snuff it in there (we did).

But please discuss it with the persons nominated and get their agreement first.

As for the christening stuff, not a clue. what I do know is some churches insist on you being a "worshipper" in the church. Others are cool so long as you go by their general principle. such as I am supposed to be RC yet they were OK with me being god father to my bessy bessy mates daughter at the local CofE.

Worse my brothers daughter, the local church would not christen her until mum/dad got married.
Thanks Tim we discussed it with the persons involved last weekend and they are more than happy to do it. I think your right Ed will suggest get it legally sorted

Hmm great i do have an excuse for not going i can't get to the church on Sundays as falc has the car but I am christened and confirmed although hasn't done either.

Wyrdness i know i dont have to explain myself but since you asked, Ryan was born my emergency C section he wasn't breathing and both ryan and I were in distress i am not very religious but i did a hell of a lot of praying while i was in theatre and feel very blessed and very lucky that we both came out of it OK. So he is being christened.
Old 09-04-10, 07:42 AM   #5
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

T - My Dad went to see somebody at his bank, they put him in touch with a solicitor and they helped him draw something up. Similar to what you might be thinking about.

Whilst I was 18, If something happened to my parents, the bank would act on their behalf and make sure that financially we were provided for. I cant remember the exact details, but thats basically how it would have worked. Once I was 18 I had to sign some paperwork that meant that responsibility for eerything ( including my brother ) finances wise, passed over to me.

Basically it meant that my family who have a history of bickering and in fighting could not muscle in and take control, sell the house out from underneath me and my brother etc etc. Solicitor probably is the best person for you to speak to.

I was christened when I was a baby, makes no difference to me now because I am not religious or anything like a regular at church.

Looking back on it now I think I would have prefered it if my parents hadnt had me christened and that I would have been left to make my own choice in the matter once I was old enough to do so. I know a few people that have done this in their adult life.

If you're doing it to make other people happy, then take some time to reflect oni it. If you are doing it because you & wayne want to then go for it.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-10, 07:56 AM   #6
Jabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara View Post
does anyone know how much the church charges or does it depend on area/religion?
I don't recall paying anything for either of our kids' Christenings. They were both done at the Cathedral.
Old 09-04-10, 08:05 AM   #7
lily

My niece was christened last August, it was free and done in the normal sunday service. At the christening me and drew where asked to be godparents and it has also been made clear to the family that should anything happen then it is me and drew who will become legal guardians of Eden.
Old 09-04-10, 08:44 AM   #8
Messie
The Teacer
Mega Poster

It quite popular these days to having a naming ceremony for babies.

I had my daughter christened because I was so pleased and proud of her that I wanted to celebrate her arrival in some sort of official and celebratory way and in those days that was the only way I knew about. If there had been naming parties instead I would have gone for that, becasue even though I was christened and confirmed as a child, as an adult I am a commited atheist.
Messie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-10, 09:12 AM   #9
Cumfy

Not sure how it works down south, but up here we wanted our son to be christened, but they said no as I was of a different faith and we were not married. However the minister could see how upset he had made my Ex so he said he would do a naming ceremony and baptise him as a christian bu that he would have to attend the church for a couple of weeks beforehand to show the congregation we were faithful in some form.

Ironically I want to my priest, who knows that I don't attend services or commit to the RC faith in the way he feels is correct, but on being asked said he would of course bless/ baptise / christen any child that was brought to his church even if we were not practicing in the normal manner.

As it was my Ex went for the naming ceremony as she thought the priest would look down on her, ( naah).

Anyway in both cases no money was ever mentioned and Nathaniel was named in a CofS.( whatever that means)

Hope it all goes well for you.

cheers
Old 09-04-10, 09:16 AM   #10
Tara

Thanks Guys thats brilliant. i'll go get a solicitor and get it sorted my Friend Amanda and her husband are going to be legal guardians and we have the godmothers sorted just need to sort out god fathers now

Fizz its about what me and Wayne want for once, it was me that mentioned it to Wayne although my parents are pleased it is more about what we want. like i said i have never really been religious but i really did do some praying in that operating theatre that night. Whne he is older he can make his own mind up about religion.

a naming ceremony was an option Messie and is a lovely idea and may be an option too thanks