SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 15-12-06, 02:25 PM   #1
rubberduckofdeath

Default House buying advice...

Last edited by rubberduckofdeath; 04-01-12 at 11:19 PM.
Old 15-12-06, 02:36 PM   #2
Baph

Stick to your guns, then when they come back to you saying they'll take £310k, offer £308k for the inconvience. If they accept, run for the hills, if they barter, fine.

If they're willing to move out to rented accomodation, the sceptical part of me has to ask WHY they are selling up in the first place. If they were moving to a house they're buying fair enough, but they're willing to rent for a while (which is ALWAYS more expensive than buying). Hmm.
Old 15-12-06, 02:37 PM   #3
DanDare

Always a tricky one this. It all depends on how much the seller is keen to move.
Personally I would hold for off for a few days and see if he comes back with an offer.

My missus used to work as an estate agent, she used to say that houses are always on the market at slightly higher than the market value to cater for an offer made. Rarely did anyone pay the full asking price unless it had goldmine written all over it ( ie: doing up a run down shack )

If I was selling at £315 and someone offered £310, I'd bite their hands off.
Old 15-12-06, 02:39 PM   #4
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

No need to pay asking - just hold out. IMO

Although having no chain would be good. Only you can answer as to how desperate you are and other choices you've seen.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-06, 02:42 PM   #5
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu
Although having no chain would be good.
We had no chain buying the place we're in now. There's nothing wrong with the house, or anything inside it. I still made them bend over backwards for no apparent reason though.

The Mrs thought I was doing it just to be a c-nut. Did she complain when I told her that all kitchen appliances, including the table, fireplace and a few other goodies were being thrown in with the house, at the price WE said? Damn right she didn't!
Old 15-12-06, 02:42 PM   #6
kwak zzr

its a buyers market at the moment, i cant imagine many sell at this time of year as above stand your ground.
Old 15-12-06, 02:44 PM   #7
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberduckofdeath
Apparently this house has been on the market on and off since some time around the beginning of the year. It was originally up for between £320k and £330k. It came off the market and was redecorated then went back on for £330k. The seller had trouble finding the right property, I don't know the ins and outs of why. It came off the market and has quite recently come back on at £315k. He says if someone pays the asking price, he'll move out into rented just to get it done and over with.
Sounds to me like someone is desperate to sell, and doesn't have anywhere to move to.
Old 15-12-06, 04:44 PM   #8
Ed

Quote:
Thanks guys, we're going to wait and see what happens
...and then instruct me to act for you. At that price I charge £450 + VAT plus the expenses - search fees etc.

Ed
Old 15-12-06, 04:47 PM   #9
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed
Quote:
Thanks guys, we're going to wait and see what happens
...and then instruct me to act for you. At that price I charge £450 + VAT plus the expenses - search fees etc.

Ed
What, no discounts for fellow org members? :P
Old 15-12-06, 04:48 PM   #10
mysteryjimbo

They may be selling in advance of massive stall inthe housing market. Quite a few people believe it'll happen and in some cases knock between 20 and 40% off a house. So the sellers will be quids in and able to effectively by a similar house for a lot less.