SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-06-07, 03:53 PM   #1
MG#43

Default K3 fueling issue at high RPM

Hi there, has anyone got any ideas about this problem...

My bike almost completely cuts out hitting 9/10k rpm in 5th and 6th gears (sometimes 4th too)

The effect is similar to hitting the rev limiter, though if you keep it pinned it will recover itself to complete the rev range...

Here's the real pain in the harris!! despite being a constant issue when actually riding on road/track, I've had it on the dyno twice and it didn't do it once.

Now, i've done some of the obvious basics, checked and cleaned plugs air filter etc. But, the bike's actually pushing out good power (69.9bhp) so im confused whether or not it's fuel/air mixture prob.

I've only had an sv since sep06 and this is the only trouble i've had so i'm not sure if this is a known one or not.

Can anyone help out on here!!! many thanks!! Mark
Old 21-06-07, 03:55 PM   #2
Baph

Default Re: K3 fueling issue at high RPM!!

That sounds like the issue is more related to gears/load of the engine than it is the air/fuel mix.

What it could be though, I have no idea.
Old 21-06-07, 04:51 PM   #3
SV650Racer

Have you tried new plugs?. Does the bike have an alarm or power commander fitted?.

Had a Mille in recently with similar problems and the alarm box was vibrating under the seat (problem didnt show on the dyno - only on road test). We cased the box in foam and hey presto - not done it since.
Old 21-06-07, 05:58 PM   #4
Kylie

I had a nasty fuelling issue that was more extreme than yours, bike would only run a few miles and then would cut out really badly. Was sourced to the electrical connection to the fuel pump, mechanic reckoned the bloke who had bike before me must have had a jet wash or similar and water had got under tank and corroded the connectors. Probably not your problem though, and I don't know how accessible the connector is.
Old 22-06-07, 05:52 PM   #5
MG#43

hi, new plugs tried, no alarm or immobiliser to speak of, no remnants of one either, at least not under rider or pillion seat, tank or front fairing as I've had all these off many times. The gubbins under riders seat all seems secure and unmolestered...

bike does have high mileage, 35k plus, a k&n filter (which i've recently used the k&n cleaning kit thingy on to try and resolve issue) and an Art end can.

Things i'll be trying next are a new air filter, possible the fuel tank filter from my gsxr (if it fits that is ), or looking out for some cheap throttle bodies on ebay maybe?

unless anyone's got any other suggestions?? thanks for the replies though!!! Mark
Old 22-06-07, 07:17 PM   #6
jonboy99

Fuel tank breather blocked? When the bike's drawing alot of fuel, negative pressure build up in the tank might be restricting the fuel flow. Can't say i've heard it happening with SVs though.