SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-04-06, 07:31 PM   #1
r4ce_e3nd

Default gsx-r front end of 1989?

hello evrebody,

I am already searching for a long time to change my front end of my SV into a gsx-r front end, but because of the huge price I was a little bit disapointed...
Now, a few days a go a saw an advertisement of a gsx-r front end from 1989 for a nice price (forks, callipers, the 2 mounting plates and a fender), i searched some info out it (did'n find much http://www.users.totalise.co.uk/~gary/1989K.htm ) but the brakes should be a huge improvement (4 pistons Nissins) but the suspention I am worried about. It is a Showa, but it is quite old. Maybe I should revalve it and change the oil? And will this fit easyly? Maybe not a lot people have experience with this motorbike, but you never know.

greets,

r4ce_e3nd

ps: sorry for my bad English
Old 15-04-06, 11:46 PM   #2
northwind
Mega Poster

You didn't say what SV you have... I know there's some old GSXRs that bolt more or less straight on, but as you say, old bits. Possibly tired, possibly inferior. If they've got anti-dive I'd walk away.

The more recent swaps don't have to be expensive. You could, if you shop carefully, get a GSXR 600 SRAD front end (perfect for fitting to a carbed SV) and then sell your SV bits for more. If it weren't for the powdercoating and new tyre I bought I'd have come out more or less even with the SRAD/Y-K2/TL mix and match I used
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-06, 12:37 AM   #3
21QUEST
Mega Poster

Short answer to be honest is it's not worth bothering.
Like Northy says if you buy carefully/have a bit of luck it will be cheap enough.

Cheers
Ben
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-06, 10:39 AM   #4
Robw#70

The calipers will be grotty and need a rebuild, discs pretty worn and fork stanchions will be worn, the front wheel weighs a ton.

Its not worth it, better improving what you've got for the money or wait and buy later stuff
Old 16-04-06, 11:31 AM   #5
r4ce_e3nd

Yes, i forgot to say that I have an SV650S of 1999.

The calipers will need a rebuild, thats true, but i can do it myself, no problem.
The wheel whiwh i will use will be my stock SV, so the discs will not be worn. He says that I probebly can you my stock, he has to check it. (he is an streetfighter-builder, and has also an SV for sail, so he can check it for me) I want to keep my stock SV wheel also because I want to keep my speedo-meter, and not some aftermarket-one.
The revalving of the forks, i can do myself (i think) and just buy the valves at a shop I know. Maybee it need harder (maybe new) springs, but that i dont know yet.

So after all, it should be quite cheap.

Probably I can find some SRAD-forks, but i didnt found any... Mayne I should look harder.

Anyway, I don't think it will be a bad conversion, unless someone can give me a good explination why i realy shouldn't do...

@ northwind: what is anti-dive?
Old 16-04-06, 03:08 PM   #6
northwind
Mega Poster

Anti-dive- terrible idea they inflicted on some GSXRs. You can tell by looking at the bottom of the forks, there's wee cylinders attached to teh bottom of the fork legs. It was supposed to prevent the forks from diving on heavy braking, but it never really did.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-06, 03:36 PM   #7
Robw#70

Quote:
Originally Posted by r4ce_e3nd
Anyway, I don't think it will be a bad conversion, unless someone can give me a good explination why i realy shouldn't do...

@ northwind: what is anti-dive?
The forks are Sh#t even after a re-valve as they are a 17 year old design and are too long, your forks with springs and emulators, decent pads and hoses would work better.

Re-valving cartridge forks is not a 5min drop-in job and £70 for springs and £100 for valve kit make other forks a better bet and by the time youve sold you std stuff you can even make a profit if you buy right.
Can't see a big prob with the speedo, just need to do the pickup mod on the front sprocket
Old 16-04-06, 03:39 PM   #8
Peter Henry

The simple fact is that you are looking at kit that was designed almost 20 years ago.Can't see the point in using that even if you tweaked them a bit. A false economy not worth making in my mind mate. Be patient and buy as late model items as possible if you really want to do the change.
Old 16-04-06, 06:57 PM   #9
r4ce_e3nd

ok, thanx for your advise! I will think about it. Maybe I find some thing else...
Old 17-04-06, 12:12 PM   #10
r4ce_e3nd

OK, I was searching for some other forks and I found a GSXR 600 SRAD fork, is this a good fork? What can i use from my SV with this fork and brake system? Can I use my stock speedy-meter? Info pls

thanks