SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-07-06, 12:16 AM   #1
james160987

Default Stripped thread issue, please help

The thread that a bolt goes through from the outside of the lower faring, into the radiator grill/rad, has become stripped,

need to know if this bolts thread is acutally in the rad itself or just the grill, if its in the rad has anytone else had this problem and found out how to fix it?
Old 19-07-06, 06:47 PM   #2
james160987

so know one has ever had an issue with this, just me,
Old 19-07-06, 06:50 PM   #3
andyaikido

I've not got lowers but does it use the bolt that you undo to swing the rad forward, to get to the front cylinder?
If it is the thread is on a casting from the front cylinder. My bolt kept falling out so I used an extra long bolt with a nyloc nut on the other side.
HTH

I've got a pointy, if yours is a curvy i've got no idea, sorry.
Old 19-07-06, 07:33 PM   #4
Warren

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyaikido
I've not got lowers but does it use the bolt that you undo to swing the rad forward, to get to the front cylinder?
If it is the thread is on a casting from the front cylinder. My bolt kept falling out so I used an extra long bolt with a nyloc nut on the other side.
HTH

I've got a pointy, if yours is a curvy i've got no idea, sorry.
thats an option, im not sure of the bolt you mean, not having an sv and everything, but i have experienced stripped threads.

goto B and Q and get yourself some new longer bolts with nuts, there much cheaper than from a dealer.

were talking like a pack of 10 for about 50p.

if you cant do that, get someone with a tap and die set and make a new thread.

if thats not an option, you can get an insert (called a helicoil) that is basically a new thread in there,

the 1st option is the easiest and cheapest.
Old 19-07-06, 07:51 PM   #5
james160987

its the bolt that goes into the radiator grill from a suzuki oem lower faring, id assussume without it there may not acutally be a bolt that goes into the grill, i know it goes through some metal bracket which may be the thing you were on about to swing the rad forward,

dont want to go with the bigger bolt as it may cause more problems, that helicoil option seems a good one, anyone knows of some good places to get hold of them