SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-04-09, 04:03 PM   #1
Springbokki

Default Luggage - Not sure where else to post this...

Hey,

As a new SV650S owner I'm stuck on luggage options.
Recently bought a Pacsafe 25L Tankbag, turns out to be a bit too big for comfortable riding and control. So selling it.

Could anyone suggest a suitable Tail bag or panniers, not liking the idea of tank bags! Which are secure as well.

Ta.
Old 20-04-09, 04:45 PM   #2
philbut

Default Re: Luggage - Not sure where else to post this...

You will struggle to find any secure stuff if pac safe don't do any. I've ridden with a 25 litre tank bag with no problems, I'd say maybe give it a bit longer to see if you can get used to it (they are also good for lying on on long motorway journeys). If you really don't like it, I'd suggest an oxford "first time" tail pack as a good starting point. They are pretty big and you can fit a full helmet in there, but don't cost the earth. I tend to go for Oxford stuff as it is good quality and seems well thought out. Their panniers come in a few differnt styles, but I went for the sports. if you have a high level can you might need to look at the "humpbacks" range.

If you want secure luggage your only option is to go for hard luggage like Givi - and this will be expensive, especially if you buy new.

Last edited by philbut; 20-04-09 at 04:57 PM.
Old 20-04-09, 04:49 PM   #3
Viney
Mega Poster

There are a few options. Large tankbags are not good if youa re verticaly challenged or if you have them packed up! As said above, Oxford lugguage is good, as are the likes of Tech7 (Busters) or if you are feeling flush Kriega stuff. Cargo also do good value luggauge. All need to be secured according to the manufacturers whassits, but i have ridden over 800 miles with my oxford panniers fitted with no issues. A tank bag is useful for the phone.wallet.bits n bobs stuff. Maybe look at getting a slightly smaller one for that knid of stuff.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-09, 04:56 PM   #4
philbut

Just re-read the OP, did you mean secure as in won't fall off or secure as in people can't nick your stuff?
Old 20-04-09, 08:03 PM   #5
Springbokki

Secure as in wont be pinched, the Pacsafe have a steel cable locked to the bike.
Old 20-04-09, 08:06 PM   #6
hovis

the oxford ones are held on with bunggees.

there is a strap that locks under the pillion seat, which is velcro, i think it would be hard to pull it off, but could eassily be cut with a knife
Old 20-04-09, 08:17 PM   #7
philbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbokki View Post
Secure as in wont be pinched, the Pacsafe have a steel cable locked to the bike.
Yeah thought so. Unfortunatly as Hovis says, most luggage on the market can easily be cut off. I only know of pacsafe who make the steel mesh stuff. You could I guess buy pacsafe nets designed for backpackign and put them round your panniers and tail pack - I considered this for touring but ended up going for hard luggage instead.